add boiler to hearthstone heritage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieiron

Dec 29, 2010
central california
Hi all newbie here but have been lurking awhile trying to learn. I am replacing an old frontier 1980 large wood stove with a hearthstone heritage house is aprox 1200sq ft and am at the same time adding radiant heating to the floor. The water tank for the radiant floor will be in the garage directly behind the stove in the living room. Seems to me the natural thing to do is add a boiler to the stove and pipe it to the tank on the other side of the wall maybe 18"-24" away, like commonly is done in europoe . I have been looking at Esse 700-27b stove for comparison. I know this stove is oversize for the sq ft of the house but want to have enough extra heat to add effective amounts of heat to the tank. The tank will also be heated with solar panels and may be as much as 600 gal. I guess my main question is does anyone have experience with how much heat the water will remove from the effective heating of the room? Also what are you thoughts on this- pro and con. My plan at this point is to remove the rear pipe cover and fabricate a stainless plate to replace it and have a stainless pipe manifold off it inside the stove, no mods to the stove other than swithing cover for a cover with piping on it.
Thank you all in advance
Rob

Try asking in the boiler room
Will

Buy a wood boiler. Something you can get insurance on. ;-) Good quick idea, but safeties/controlling of temps etc... have to be considered. A wood stove is a wood stove. A boiler is a boiler. Have a peak in the boiler room forum of this site. That should get you started.
Cheers.

Thanks guys, Boilers do not look like living room material and having stoves with back boilers are so commonplace in europe that it should be a simple mod to an american stove. Will try in the boiler room also.
Rob

I've been looking into this concept and I saw several stoves in Europe that could do this that would look nice in the living room like the Olymberyl, Clearview, and Hereford with back boiler options. Some brands like Horse Fire even have some that they import to the US, but not the boiler types. The best I could figure was a Thermo Control stove, or putting a coil into a standard stove. I think to do radiant or baseboard applications you would need about three coils to make it worth running the plumbing.

I have a solar setup already that is through SunPeak USA, but the hydronic heating brings my 200 gallon water tank down to the mid 90's overnight and on an overcast day when the sun doesn't regenerate it it can get down to the 70's and at that point I cut it off.

What I wanted to do was run a wood stove in a new sunroom I will be putting on the house in the Spring. I wanted the room to be totally sealed off if I didn’t want to use it, but then if I wanted to heat it have a wood stove out there with a hydronic system that would pump radiant hot water in the slab on the way back to the hot water tank. From reading some of the other posts about how much heat a slab can absorb I have pretty much given up on the idea of radiant heating, but it still would be nice to do a baseboard heater in the kitchen on the way back to the hot water tank. I figured that it would even out and maximize the wood stove. I really would like a stove that looks a little better than the Thermo Control 200 though. I'm not too keen on drilling and putting the coils in a wood stove though, so I will probably just do things the American way with one room at 85 degrees and another on the other side of the house at 65 degrees. If I get bored with that I may try the coils later. I would like to figure out a good way to have a blower send hot air behind the stove through the wall behind the stove.

I guess the UL doesn't want to mess with the UK stoves with their boilers.

Thanks Wood heat, the solar back up is exactly what I had in mind for those days that you will have a fire and would be nice to be able to store some of that heat. Glad to know it can be done. Do you have any idea how well that set up works?
Rob

Hi fosterob, think I might know you from another forum. Anyhow, check this out http://hilkoil.com/

Yep, your are on IFI too, right?

fosterob said:
Thanks Wood heat, the solar back up is exactly what I had in mind for those days that you will have a fire and would be nice to be able to store some of that heat. Glad to know it can be done. Do you have any idea how well that set up works?
Rob

i dont think its too efficient--or it'd be done more often
but im no expert

Dune; Thanks for the link, yes IFI also. It looks like you have a nice set up to be free of the utility co.

Wood heat; I think I need to look at how the european stove companys add boilers. The one I saw made by Esse, model 700 put out 10.5kw of heat, add boiler mod 700-27b you get 9kw heat into room and 8kw into water.It burns double the wood according to their info. A kilowatt is about 3400 btu. So it seems that 1/2 of your heat could heat water and the other half heat the room?
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.