Add Firebrick or Steel Plate to 118 interior?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverrude

Apr 17, 2008
NJ
I read BeGreen’s post were he added a thick steel plate to the interior of his 602. I was wondering since I have the 118 apart if it would be advisable to add a thick plate ( what thickness) or 1” firebrick to the back interior plate of the 118.

The thickness of the back plate in our 602 was determined scientifically. It was what was on the scrap pile. I think anything over 1/8" thick would be fine as long as it's bolted down at all 4 corners. It's just a heat shield.

The 118 has a longer flame path, so I'm not sure it's needed for that stove. The back of the firebox in the 602 is unshielded in the stock stove. It gets pretty hot there. I finally put one on the old 602 after seeing several units with hairline cracks or enamel bubbles just below the rear-exit pipe. It made quite a difference. FWIW, it looks like the new 118 had firebrick in the back.

Thanks for fast reply BG. I thought the plate or firebrick might give me a hotter burn.

It should increase the firebox temp a little, but this is a fairly small plate. In the 602 it was only about 8 x8 (arched on the top to fit the baffle).

Status
Not open for further replies.