Add insulated liner and wait?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
As some of you know I am all kinds of confused on what to buy . So I am thinking I should fully line and insulate my current stove since it is a direc connection now. Later I will update to a new stove but wondering what you all thought of the idea of just redoing my current setup

Since you are starting a new thread, it would be helpful to explain what you have again, some pics, why you are adding a liner, etc, or continue on of your old threads that explains that stuff by putting a new post in it.

With so much going on, it's hard to remember who has what and why you are changing things in the first place.

We'll help ya, just need some cliff notes to get you the best answer.

pen

Since you are starting a new thread, it would be helpful to explain what you have again, some pics, why you are adding a liner, etc, or continue on of your old threads that explains that stuff by putting a new post in it.

With so much going on, it's hard to remember who has what and why you are changing things in the first place.

We'll help ya, just need some cliff notes to get you the best answer.

pen
Understandable just got myself in turbo mode trying to figure everything out

Reactions: pen
I generally prefer incremental change, rather than wholesale revision. . .like changing spark plugs before changing wires, so you know where the problem was. . .but it might be more trouble than it's worth to do it this way, depending on your current setup. For example, our old insert vented directly into the fireplace out of a 5 x 15" rectangle in its top. No pipe whatsoever. Classic "slammer" install. I first came hearth.com looking to put a proper flue on this beast. Would've had to put a round adapter on the rectangular flue collar, then try to coax the beast back into the fireplace with this adapter sticking off the top. . .then get it back out, when we decided it was time for a new stove. Would've been a total PITA. . .twice. I'll never know how much better the ol' smoke dragon would've burned with with a proper flue, but I'm glad I just went ahead and put a new stove in with the new liner.:)

Last edited:
When you ask if, " I should fully line and insulate my current stove," I'm assuming you are asking if you should install an insulated SS flex liner to your current stove. If you decide to go that route I'd suggest you leave the length of your new liner long enough that it will be usable with any future stove you might move to if you decide to go that route. It would be a shame to spend that much money on a new flue liner and later find out you cut it off six inches too short for the new stove you bought! It won't hurt anything to leave an extra foot or so of liner sticking out of the top of your chimney cap until you decide which way you're going. If that works out to your satisfaction and you decide to keep your old stove you can then go back on the roof and cut the liner down to the proper size and finish off the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.