add on blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoon059

Oct 24, 2008
DC Metro
My woodstove does not have a blower, and it is in the front corner of my house. Our bedroom in the rear opposite corner doesn't get much heat to it. My air return duct is over by the bedroom, so I can't even use my house fan to distribute heat. I was wondering if there is a universal blower assembly that I could place on top of my stove to blow some of that really hot air around the house. Right now I have a box fan on the mantle blowing the warm air around, but I was trying to find something more compact.

what kind of stove ? some manuf's make a blower for their stoves. as many of the experts here have stated, your best option for moving heat around is to blow the cold air towards the heat source. i'm looking at floor fans now and a 9" vornado fan will do it for me.

Geesh - I have sooooo much to learn here. I've been thinking about how to blow my hot air from my stove down the halls into the bedrooms. Yet you say blow the cold air out of the bedrooms towards the stove? Genius. I think I really need to spend an entire week just reading these forums!!!

I sort of look at my house as a pressure experiment. You want to draw the cold air out of the room to create a negative pressure which will suck the warmer air in. And then blow it into the stove room which creates positive pressure which gently pushes it out to the waiting vacuum. That way you aren't cooling off the heated air trying to push it which will cool it considerably. I need to look for a better fan because the one I have is way too loud and it's lowest setting is like a turbo prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.