Add on Boiler for Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkmh

Jul 15, 2007
Southern, Maine
Anyone have any experience or opinions on these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Water-Tank-...yZ115968QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am considering purchasing one of these for my harmon P61A installed in the basement. I've been running it 24/7 with good results this winter and I wonder if I could save a few bucks with one of these boilers. Currently we have a standard 40 gallon (LP) hot water tank.

My domestic hot water costs for last calendar year were around 350 dollars. I'm sure it would take at least a few (4-5?) years before the boiler would pay for itself.

Thoughts?

I don't see how one of these would work with a standard pellet stove. Reading through the information and looking at the diagram it looks like it would need a large hot surface in order to work the way the seller intends. The only hot surface on my pellet stove is the glass. The seller says that its for pellet stoves but also states that its for " a radiant heating device" But a pellet stove is a convective heating device. So to have any chance of making this work with a pellet stove would be to pipe the hot air through the add ons heat exchanger which would be quite ugly.

Currently we have a standard 40 gallon (LP) hot water tank.
It sounds like there is at least two people in your household. Roughly $30 dollars a month may not be that bad depending on how many people in your household/your hot water usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.