Add on wood boiler setup (need help)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MILL VOGGINGTON

Jan 8, 2013
Add on wood boiler setup

Hi i just purchased a 1800sqft ranch that i had central air and a propane wall unit for hot water and heat installed and wanted to add a wood boiler to this setup as i get my wood for free.When the central air was installed i had a heatexchanger installed for the propane so im assuming i can tie into that but im not sure how.

Heres what im thinking of getting
Kerr Titan wood fired boiler Model 101-T.

Im looking for 8-10hr burn times,just looking for heat not hot water
I would like a diagram of a setup with a dump zone and all as im not fimiliar with indoor boilers,but have installed 2 outdoor boilers at my work,any help would be great,also do i need a constantly running zone like a heat exchanger in my garage until the house calls for heat,full set instructions would be great thanks,mike​

Add on wood boiler setup

Heres what im thinking of getting​
Kerr Titan wood fired boiler Model 101-T.​
Im looking for 8-10hr burn times,​
My experience with wood fired boilers goes back more than 30 years . Conventional boilers like the Kerr Titan are a nightmare as they make large amounts of creosote , even when working at peek efficiency and even worse yet when they are idling or in standby mode . Prior to 1982 I had two such boilers and added storage to the second to try and make it work harder with storage ,but storage did not solve the creosote problem ,though it did cut wood consumption by 40% . Below are the 3 pages from our Jetstream manual that give the principals of high temperature clean burning of wood .
http://www.lamppakuuma.com/kuuma-vapor-fire-high-efficiency-wood-gasification-furnace.html This is forced air unit that is getting good reviews.
http://www.newhorizonstore.com/Products/89-biomass-gasification-boiler.aspx This is a site that sells gasification boilers .
The wood -gasification furnace and boiler do need to burn well seasoned wood to function properly.
If you are going to go the route of a boiler , a gasification boiler is the better way to go.
I have attached a picture of the inside of the chimney after burning 2 cords of wood .

Attachments

• pg 8.jpg
    pg 8.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 338
  • pg 9.jpg
    pg 9.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 232
  • pg 10.jpg
    pg 10.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMGP4405.JPG
    IMGP4405.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 233
cant afford a new boiler im looking for setup help how to tie into existing propane setup ect,i get all my wood free so i would deal with cleaning the chimney liner

Status
Not open for further replies.