Added another Holz Hausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
IMG_8779-1024.JPG
Two stacks now, and adding a double wall between them. Can't really tell in the pic but the wall is slightly curved. Kind of castle-ish. Still got a good half cord to split and the stack will be done and ready for next year.

I love that look. I may have to target that myself. Well done.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
If I built something like that in my yard my wife would think I'm going through my second childhood.

LOL thanks for the comments. Maybe another one across the way with a bigger wall between them and an opening in the middle with a drawbridge? My realtor actually said it was pretty cool and had to snap some pics herself.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
I love the idea of stacking the wood between the holz's. I have three in my backyard right now I might have to do this to. That's when all this snow decides to melt.

I might make walls between my holz hausen, but then I'd have to figure how to take down the holz hausen without taking down the walls. The walls would be newer and so I'd burn them later.

Next a party Holtz?

der holtz.jpg

Yeah I know. The thing amazes me.

I'm impressed that OhioBurner did this in the middle of winter. How about some windows in the wall?

Do they really season faster, or are they just fun to stack that way? Always wondered that.

I'm impressed that OhioBurner did this in the middle of winter. How about some windows in the wall?
Well I havent touched it in a little over a month, I just hadn't downloaded the images to the computer until the other day when I set my computer up in the stove room (was in the basement and I stopped going down there when it got into the 40's down there). I was going to try to be done by the first of the year but it didn't happen. Still have about 1/2 cord to split and fill ion the wall more and I will work on it over the next couple weeks I hope.

Do they really season faster, or are they just fun to stack that way? Always wondered that.
For me it is just fun to stack that way. The ash was standing dead and already 20-30% when split so I think it will be fine for next year regardless of stacking method (so long as it is stacked and off the ground, there are pallets also with plastic sheats underneath the stacks).

Also I am looking at the possibility of selling my house, and my realtor looked at my multiple stacks on the porch, and piles beside the driveway and told me I better clean them up into a nice neat stack. She liked my solution.
I might make walls between my holz hausen, but then I'd have to figure how to take down the holz hausen without taking down the walls. The walls would be newer and so I'd burn them later.
Mine should all be ready to burn next year so I plan on taking the wall out first. You could wait until you do your next HH to do the walls, or else just stack your walls with crisscrossed ends that don't rest completely up against the HH.

Reactions: j7art2
Status
Not open for further replies.