added bar length hurt performance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavo

Feb 12, 2011
chaplin ct
I have the husqvarna 445 w/ the stock 18" bar. I have recently found quite a few trees downed that are ~24" across. Not that a 20" bar would get me all the way through but it would get me closer. I plan to ditch the safety chain as well to help w/ the cutting. Does the added 2" cause any negative side affects for the saw or user?
Thanks, Mike.

A 20" bar is at the upper end of Husky recommends for that saw. I think you'll definitely notice the difference, even in smaller wood. You're adding a 2" longer bar, and a 4"(=/-) chain, which makes a lot more drag on a smaller engine. I'd try a non safety chain on what you have now, then see if you think you want the longer bar, and if you think the saw has enough power for it.

18" x 2 = 36" tree that you cna work your way through with your saw as it sits now. You're going to be alot better off using what you've got and just work it from both sides. A 20" bar will only disappoint and frustrate you.

20" is to big for that saw unless your cutting christmas trees....... do a double cut as Mayhem states

Flavo said:
Does the added 2" cause any negative side affects for the saw or user?

Adding 2" to the bar length on such a saw is known to cause cause the saw's user to shrink 2" in certain body parts. :lol:

However if you get an saw with a motorcycle engine and a 24" bar, the extra 6" will have the chainsaw groupie honeys will be all over you. :kiss:

If you're bucking in the woods, just cut from both sides. I prefer not to cut from both sides for felling cuts if I have a longer bar available, but its really not that difficult to do. I do find it difficult to cut from both sides of a grapple load of logs all piled up.

Sure you can use a longer bar. Just be sure to keep the bar groove & oiler port clean, turn up the oiler to tha max setting, use skip tooth chain, and use very gentle pressure on the bar. Keep the chain speed up and don't let the clutch stall. Its just more fun to saw with a short bar with full compliment tooth chain. The tool is better balanced and cuts faster. My preference is 14" on a 40cc saw, 16" on a 50cc saw, 20" on a 70cc saw, and 24" on an 80cc saw.

Just be careful when doing halfsies cuts, since you'll be burying the bar to the tip you're in prime kickback territory here. Wear your PPE, take your time and don't cut alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.