Added OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimfromMA

Minister of Fire
Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
Did my OAK installation today.

2014-08-17_11-15-05_571.jpg 2014-08-17_16-41-29_312.jpg 2014-08-17_16-42-23_350.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the kit I bought. You may want to buy a aluminum tray in case it drips from condensation. I would get ice on mine when it was really cold. Although it would not drip it seemed to evaporate before a drip would let go.

Mine dripped when I first installed it, so I wrapped mine in insulation and it solved the condensation problem.

What about the part that passes through the wall?

I just insulated from the stove to the wall. I don't think it was happening inside the wall since the air temp probably isn't as drastic of a difference.
I also ditched the cover that came with it after the first season and modified a dryer vent to cover it instead. It seemed like excess moisture was being pulled in when their was big storms (sticky ash). The dryer vent covers a lot better without blocking any airflow and seemed to help the moisture problem.

What about the part that passes through the wall?

Out of sight out of mind?? Mine condensed closer to the unit maybe the wall was colder?? Mine never dripped like I said but putting a $2.00 aluminum cooking tray under it gave me peace of mind.

Out of sight out of mind??

If only. Moisture equals mold and mildew.

I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Never used OAK before.

I sprayed that fire-block Great Stuff insulating foam around the outside of the thimble and OAK part that goes through the wall to prevent condensation in the wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimfromMA
The stove exhaust is warm so I'm not concerned about the thimble. The OAK vent pipe on the other hand....

I would not worry about the condensation inside the wall. Ive never read anything on here about anyone having that issue.

I am glad I spent the extra $ on the initial install for my OAK on my Harman XXV. I will post pics of the install and setup if I can of the OAK and stove after it is installed. I will also ask the installer about condensation inside the OAK pipe and wall and see what he says. Nice job Tim !!

Since the OAK pipe is cold air, I just kept the wall insulation right around it, so I'm assuming (hoping) that it wouldn't condensate in there like it did in the house.

I do like cold front's idea of using spray insulating foam on the part inside the wall. It can't hurt.

Yeah, spray foam would work good too.

My only problem is that the hole I cut is only just big enough for the pipe to pass through. There is not enough clearance to get the nozzle of the foam spray can inside..

My only problem is that the hole I cut is only just big enough for the pipe to pass through. There is not enough clearance to get the nozzle of the foam spray can inside..

Id think twice about putting great stuff inside there I cant speak for other spray foams. The great stuff fire stuff is junk in my opinion heres a video.

Reactions: johninwi
I would think if there is wall insulation around it and it's that tight to start with, you'll probably be fine. You could silicone from both the inside and outside to isolate/insulate it a bit more though.

If I remember right the majority of the condensation happened about 12"+ into the room, so inside the wall is unlikely to be a big problem anyway.

I did apply a liberal amount of silicone on the outside to keep rain out. My stove is right next to the wall and, as you can see from my photo, there is only 12" (or less) of pipe from the wall to the stove.

If you silicone the inside also, then it would keep warm air from sneaking in the wall around it. At least that's my logic.

Id think twice about putting great stuff inside there I cant speak for other spray foams. The great stuff fire stuff is junk in my opinion heres a video.

We are all in trouble if the area around the thimble is subjected to direct flame. All the paper backed insulation would catch fire too if it was anywhere near the thimble.

Reactions: ZBrooks
We are all in trouble if the area around the thimble is subjected to direct flame. All the paper backed insulation would catch fire too if it was anywhere near the thimble.

The purpose of the thimble is to maintain clearance as the exhaust vent passes through the wall.

The purpose of the thimble is to maintain clearance as the exhaust vent passes through the wall.
Yes, I understand that basic concept. There is nothing wrong with put foam on the outside of the thimble were other combustibles are found Outside of the thimble.

You dont have paper backed insulation in your walls. At least in most walls. A typical OAK has no protection so if the stove is to malfunction and send hot exhaust gases out the oak you may have a problem with something that has a low combustion point like spray foam on the otherhand fiberglass melts.

You dont have paper backed insulation in your walls. At least in most walls. A typical OAK has no protection so if the stove is to malfunction and send hot exhaust gases out the oak you may have a problem with something that has a low combustion point like spray foam on the otherhand fiberglass melts.
If that happens, there's a fire in the house and me and my family are outside dialing 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.