Adding a Pellet Stove to the Cellar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a stove installer in the Central Mass area? I'm leaning towards a stove from AM FM Energy but trying to find an installer is another issue.

http://www.pelletstoveservice.com/

Try him he posted in this thread # 17 & #25 :)

He covers a big chunk of New England area.
I was considering it but he's at least an hour away from me so that would be factored into the price.

EDIT: I just noticed you said he covers a big chunk of the NE area!! ;em

I was considering it but he's at least an hour away from me so that would be factored into the price.
Can't hurt to ask , I don't know him personally only from his posts here , seems like he's the kinda guy that won't do you wrong:)

Reactions: dylskee

EDIT: I just noticed you said he covers a big chunk of the NE area!! ;em

Yea, but I don't think youre gonna find anyone who will do a quality job for next to nothing- I think Scott's prices are fair, given the distance.

For $2000.00, you can get the stove from AM FM Energy, pay someone to install and buy a ton or two of pellets. Thats bang fer yer buck!
Not from my research, the price of a basement install will exceed the price of the stove! :eek:
And that's buying a $1600. stove, I just can't justify that expense for a fairly simple install. I'm pretty handy and not afraid of taking on a project so I'll give this one a go. I looked at a website with their rates listed online and it totaled $1545. with a basement install and that's on the low end, most likely it would be more.

I'm leaning towards the 55-TRPEP, I still haven't decided on new or refurbished yet.

I let you know on Moday . When I spoke to my installer ( who has been in my home for chimminey cleaning ) he figured 750 for install ( that's including all venting )
So stove1000.000 install 750.00 = 1750.00 still room for a ton of pellets ( or at least pretty close )
I know every setup can be a little different so I did ask around and got some numbers like you are talking !
It's funny with all I've learned on here I'm starting to think I could almost do it myself .
But considering it took me over 6 months to finish a bathroom remodel I better leave this to a pro !

I let you know on Moday . When I spoke to my installer ( who has been in my home for chimminey cleaning ) he figured 750 for install ( that's including all venting )
So stove1000.000 install 750.00 = 1750.00 still room for a ton of pellets ( or at least pretty close )
I know every setup can be a little different so I did ask around and got some numbers like you are talking !
It's funny with all I've learned on here I'm starting to think I could almost do it myself .
But considering it took me over 6 months to finish a bathroom remodel I better leave this to a pro !
LOL!! You just wanted to make sure it was done well, that's all...... :)

I don't mind paying someone for their time but for that kind of money it doesn't make good money sense. Plus, what does it matter who installs the stove, as long as it meets code and the inspector is happy, that's all that matters in the end.

The Summers Heat 55-SHP10,Timberidge 55-TRP10,and 25 PVDC are all the same stove..You might want to check out AMFM energy..http://www.amfmenergy.com, they sell rebuilds at impressive savings, carrying the same warranty...I and others here, are very satisfied with our purchase from them.
Thanks for the link, I'm 99% sure I'll be buying a stove from here!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Timber Ridge is an England Stove Works stove sold through one channel and Summer's Heat is an England Stove Works stove sold through a different channel. Same stove different retailers. The same thing happens with pellets and pellet bags.

Timber Ridge is an England Stove Works stove sold through one channel and Summer's Heat is an England Stove Works stove sold through a different channel. Same stove different retailers. The same thing happens with pellets and pellet bags.
Thanks Smokey, I just noticed my local lowes sells the 55-TRPEP cheaper than AM FM and I don't have to have it shipped risking damage to the stove.

Final install price 800.00 includes all venting materials . Just need to decide on stove . Was all set to pull the trigger on a new englander . But ran into echo choice ? Love my quad !

Final install price 800.00 includes all venting materials . Just need to decide on stove . Was all set to pull the trigger on a new englander . But ran into echo choice ? Love my quad !
That's a reasonable price for sure, what part of the country are you in? I can't decide on a stove either, the Timber Ridge stoves have terrible reviews. Almost everyone complained about the stove shutting off on overnight burns, auger problems and pellets sticking to the sides of the hopper. I didn't want to put an expensive stove in the cellar but I don't want a piece of crap either. The more I research, the more uncertain I become....... :(

I'm in southern Maine . With the install price I got I'm looking to maybe put a little more money in the stove . My Quads have been trouble free ( going on season 4/5 ) just don't want to spend Quad money on the basement ! That's why I'm leaning towards the Echo ( all Quad parts for the most part and made at the same plant ) my local dealer has them for 1600.00 .
Just shopping price the refurbs are still in the running .
Plus now I get to buy more pellets !!

I'm in southern Maine . With the install price I got I'm looking to maybe put a little more money in the stove . My Quads have been trouble free ( going on season 4/5 ) just don't want to spend Quad money on the basement ! That's why I'm leaning towards the Echo ( all Quad parts for the most part and made at the same plant ) my local dealer has them for 1600.00 .
Just shopping price the refurbs are still in the running .
Plus now I get to buy more pellets !!
Nice! I'm heading to Maine Thursday, Old Orchard Beach! I'm just hoping I can make up my mind within a couple weeks or so.....

funny I live and work 30 minutes from OOB and haven't been there for over 20 years . Was there every weekend as a kid . I do miss the pier fries maybe I need to make a run over . As a teenager I was a lifeguard there for a summer .

I'm going to go quality with this stove, I was going to go on the cheap side but after a lot of research I'd rather buy something that's going to run and run often. I got a price from a local stove dealer on a Quadra-Fire Santa-FE With all the venting for $2894. plus installation. Seems like a reasonable price??

To answer my own question, no.......
I called a couple other dealers in my area and I can get a Harman P38 for $2190, $410. cheaper than the Quad. Depending on price, I might want to go with the P43 though, I would want the auto-ignition and the P38 doesn't offer that.

Dylskee
Like you I have been putting a lot of mind time into this ! I was looking to spend as little as possible ! But when it comes down to it there are certain features I want
1. Thermostat ( full on full off )
2. Large ash pan ( not gonna clean it everyday )
3. A brand I know and trust ( and a dealer to back it up )
4. Definitely don't want a stove that's picky about pellets ( spend a little more now save a lot more later )

So I guess for me it's gonna be a Quad I have 3 of them and love them . Easy to clean doesn't care what I feed it . Going to a couple local dealers over the next few weeks and see what I can find ( I would be happy with a store demo stove )
Let me know what you find . When you make your way down to OOB there are several stove shops in the area ( all within 30 minutes ) best of luck !

Reactions: dylskee and will711
Get the Harman P43 it will set you free :) now go enjoy your time at OOB ;)
:) I know, I'm a pain in the ass!! I just want to make sure I get something that I won't regret, that's why I'm leaning heavily towards the Harman. I started out shopping for price only, but I can't pull the trigger on a cheap stove. I set a budget of $3000. including installation and venting, I could do it with the P38. I'll probably have to save another $300-$500. more to go with the P43 but I think it's worth it.

I'm going to work tomorrow for a few hours than we're off to OOB for some well deserved R&R! Thank you for the reply will, have a good weekend! :cool:

I know, I'm a pain in the ass!! I just want to make sure I get something that I won't regret, that's why I'm leaning heavily towards the Harman
No worries man:cool: , No buyers remorse with a Harman, yeah they cost a bit more. Read the last line in my sig;)

Have a great time :)

Dylskee
Like you I have been putting a lot of mind time into this ! I was looking to spend as little as possible ! But when it comes down to it there are certain features I want
1. Thermostat ( full on full off )
2. Large ash pan ( not gonna clean it everyday )
3. A brand I know and trust ( and a dealer to back it up )
4. Definitely don't want a stove that's picky about pellets ( spend a little more now save a lot more later )

So I guess for me it's gonna be a Quad I have 3 of them and love them . Easy to clean doesn't care what I feed it . Going to a couple local dealers over the next few weeks and see what I can find ( I would be happy with a store demo stove )
Let me know what you find . When you make your way down to OOB there are several stove shops in the area ( all within 30 minutes ) best of luck !
I would have went with the Quad if they didn't try to gouge me on it, when I get back from the beach I'll get a stove ordered and finish with the 15 projects I have going on right now..... :eek:

FINALLY pulled the trigger on my new pellet stove this morning! :)
Got a pretty good deal on a Qaudra-Fire Classic Bay 1200, $3873. installed and that includes everything. Sales tax, venting and installation. Now I have to finish cleaning out that basement...... Thanks to everyone for their input and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.