1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

adding a simple gate to trailer?

Post in 'The Gear' started by toonces, Feb 20, 2012.

1. toonces

toonces Member

Loc:
    Farmington Valley, CT
    just curious if any of you have ever added a gate to an open-back trailer. i picked up a 4x6 tilt trailer with sides but no gate. i was thinking of using some 2x4's to shore up the butt end of things but have it removable so i can dump whatever i have when i need to. anyone done this and have pics they can share? thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I just replaced a removable one with a hinged/ramp one.
    2X4 across the top & 3/4 plywood. Mad a grove from 2X2s on each side to slide it into.
    A rope held the sides in when gate was in place.
    Pic of old one:

Attached Files:

3. toonces

toonces Member

Loc:
    Farmington Valley, CT
    i like the hinge idea. might have a dayoff project to think about here. thanks!
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    No pic (it's nighttime here), but I have a commercially built dump trailer 4' x 8' x 2'. The back of the trailer box is a two-piece door, divided vertically in the center, the two halves of which swing horizontally away from the back of the box. They have an overlap & a good latch for when the back is shut. When I go to dump it, I unlatch the rear doors and swing each one away to the side on it's hinges, 270° right up nearly flat with the sides of the box. There are pegs on the doors and D-rings on the sides of the trailer to hold the doors open during the dumping process. Works like a champ. For a dump trailer, I'd highly recommend some similar configuration. I can get some pics in daytime if you're interested. Rick