Adding a super stor (indirect water heater)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
My brother gave me a 50 gallon super stor and a 3/4" mixing valve. I want to supply the heating coil of the super stor by installing 2 3/4" monoflo tees into my single heat loop, which runs all the time whenever my wood boiler is burning. I figure if I set the aquastat which controlls the circ at 180F, then the super stor will have at 180 degree water after the fire goes out. With the mixing valve, this should fill my domestic hotwater needs during the heating season. I realize that maintaining the super stor at the same temp as the heat loop might not be the most effiecent, but if I don't need another circulator or a zone valve and controller, I am happier. The system I have now is so simple, aquastat, circ, on off swicth, no controllers or other stuff I don't understand. Any objections?

I am going to leave my electric installed. The wood boiler runs all winter, I don't use the oil burner at all any more. I should be getting a 120 gallon SuperStor pretty soon too, and if I get that, then I am going to build a solar water heater for the rest of the year.(even then, I would have the electric for backup)
The other thing I was thinking is building a box around the Superstor and super-insulating it with spray foam. Any Objections?
Thanks for replying NoFossil.

Keep in mind that piped in that fashion the heat you have in the tank will begin to leave whenever your boiler loop temp drops below that of the indirect. The HX works both ways.

That is why I am raising the setting on the aquastat from 165F to 180F, otherwise it the temp would drop all the way to 165F before the circ stops.

Thanks for replying Heaterman

Status
Not open for further replies.