adding a wood fireplace to a century home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyaddison

Jul 19, 2008
southern ontario canada
This may seem like a crazy question, but I would like to know if it is at all possible. We recently purchased a century home built in 1890. Although we love the home we are disappointed that it does not have a fireplace. Since we found it difficult to find an affordable home in this historical period there was little option for us but to purchase the property. I am wondering if it is at all possible to have a "real" wood fireplace added to the home or if the only option available to us would be a wood-stove. I am not interested in a gas fireplace as I would like to maintain the integrity of the property. In addition as a last resort we might consider adding a wood-stove but I really don't wish to do so. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ok I don't know what a "century" home is. You can frame up a wall and put a wood fireplace in, and vent it out the roof. With the limited information given that's about all I can say. So what do you think would prohibit you from getting a fireplace?

Anything's possible. Do you want it pretty much invisible from the exterior, or would you like to add a masonry (brick or stone) chimney structure to the house? How the heck did they heat the place & cook in 1890 without a fireplace? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.