Q&A Adding a woodburning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My home does not have a fireplace and I would like to add one. I really love the smell, sound, and "life" of a wood fire and would prefer to install a wood burning fireplace (vs. gas). Is this a big project? How much should I expect to pay?

Answer:

Main thing is where the chimney will go. If your house is two story it most likely will have to go in a "chase" or framed box on the outside of the home. A prefab fireplace with this chase can be had for $4000. to $6000. installed...more if you a heating-type fireplace.

If you have a singly story home and can build the fireplace and chimney inside the home, then you could spend $2500-4000.

You can save some money if you are handy and want to do the painting, hearth, sheetrocking or other parts of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.