Adding an outlet to an existing circuit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smoke show

I want to add an outlet to an existing circuit which I've done before, just not a circuit like this one.

I'm no electrician so take it easy on me.

I was hoping to get what I needed from this switch, but according to my harbor freight tester theres no voltage in this box.

I could also take it from the light fixture if need be.

I believe this is a four way circuit. 3 switches controlling 6 light fixtures.

A link to a schematic describing this circuit would be great, so I can visualize whats happening.

I know its probly not recommended tapping into circuits, but this outlet is just gonna be for a led night light. ;-)

Attachments

• IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 358
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 340
Take a meter and see if you have 120v between the two, yellow, wire-nutted connections. If so, that is the live feed into this box.

That looks like a 4 way switch. If so, there are a couple others switching the same circuit from different locations. Is this the case? If so, you don't take the power off the switch.

There's probably a feed in that switch box, but there's no neutral. The constant feed comes down from the light box on the white wire, goes through the switches, and then returns to the light fixture on the black wire. Probably need to find another location.

BeGreen said:
Take a meter and see if you have 120v between the two, yellow, wire-nutted connections. If so, that is the live feed into this box.

That looks like a 4 way switch. If so, there are a couple others switching the same circuit from different locations. Is this the case? If so, you don't take the power off the switch.

No 120v anywhere in that switch box.

It is a 4 way switch.

I'll be looking at tapping into the fixture in the third pic.

burnham said:
There's probably a feed in that switch box, but there's no neutral. The constant feed comes down from the light box on the white wire, goes through the switches, and then returns to the light fixture on the black wire. Probably need to find another location.

I think its all nuetral and no feed.

I will try another location.

I am fairly certain the switch you have pictured is the middle switch between the other 2. One of the other switches will have the incoming power feed. The black wire from the 12-2 or 14-2 will test hot no matter what you do to the other 2 switches.This is true if the power comes to the switches 1st.

Maybe I'll open it back up and try again today.

It didn't matter what I touched with my meter I couldn't find voltage.

but when I shove it into an outlet I get 123v.

So are you telling me theres a feed and nuetral in there?

No neutral, just a feed. The feed comes from the lighting box down to the 4-way on the white wire of the 14-2 and goes to the point of one of the 3-way switches. The black of that same 14-2 is connected to the other 3-way switch.

If they switched the neutral instead of the feed, there will be a constant live wire in that box, but no constant neutral.

You should look in another box for a feed.

Thanks Ncountry

So if I understand what your saying, I need to look at a diffferent option?

I think I'll concede and run a new circuit.

1 circuit breaker
75 ft of 12/2
couple boxes
4 ft conduit
bag of romex staples
couple outlets
2 covers
and one sunday morning
got the outlet I wanted plus another
thanks to all who replied.

Attachments

• IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG0100.jpg
    IMAG0100.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 242
Good for you! And you can sleep soundly knowing it's done right, too.
(I like the metal box covers better than the plastic ones.)

Status
Not open for further replies.