1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Adding Humidity to house, plus

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by andybaker, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybaker

andybaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest OH
    I want to increase the humidity in our house and I hate those standing floor humidifiers. I like the ones that go on the furnace ducts, but my furnance hardly ever comes on because we heat with wood. I've found a product called the "FanHandler" that looks like it might work. It is supposed to move air around the house at a slow speed by reducing the speed of the furnace motor. This way there wouldn't air blowing around all the time. Has anyone tried this? How about adding an air cleaner at the same time, maybe an electronic air cleaner or one of those UV air cleaners? I'd be interested what others have done. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    I had an april air and limited the water output. I also wired it to run off of the fan and not the heat. It helps but if there is no heat in the unit the efficiency is low. Best to put a kettle on the stove and a stand alone unit if/when needed.
  3. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    I put a steamer on top of my stove and it dumps about a gallon or so of water into the air daily. At niht or during cold season I run a warm mist humidifier in the bedrooms at night. Another gallon or so per 6-8 hour period per unit.
  4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Loc:
    Tecumseh Kansas
    Tons of house plants
  5. tutu_sue

tutu_sue New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Or a large aquarium
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.