1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Adding second thermostat

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by jessem, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jessem

jessem Member

Loc:
    SW VA
    getting ready to add 2nd thermostat, I have been using my OWB with the forced air. Currently I have my outdoor unit (heat pump) breaker(s) in off position, letting the air handler cycle with the single thermostat

Any input would be appreciated before I have to trek into the darkness of the crawl space

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    Spent a while down there just last weekend, no fun. I dragged my stuff in a cloth shopping satchel, which worked pretty well. Field expedient "miner's hat" and communication gear really helped.

Attached Files:

3. DaBackBurner

DaBackBurner Member

Loc:
    UP Michigan
    LOL, love it ewd...us iron ore miners use the new-fangled-stretchy-over-the-hard-hat-LED kind now. We're moving up in 'da world. Just don't look at your co-worker directly though...daaannnggg they're bright.
  4. Tinder

Tinder Member

Loc:
    Howell, MI
    2nd thermostat? Why not a single thermostat with 2 stage heat?
  5. jessem

jessem Member

Loc:
    SW VA
    can you use the stage two and still use central a/c??
  6. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I persoanlly used the AC circuit on my first thermostat to wire in a second thermostat. I switch of the AC breaker in the winter and presto - second thermostat functionality with zero new wires running in the walls.
  7. jessem

jessem Member

Loc:
    SW VA
    so tie into the a/c thermostat wires and leave the outdoor unit breaker off?
  8. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Yes sir. Just that easy. Put a disconnect on the boiler side of the AC line so you aren't running any pumps in the summer.