Adding second thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessem

Jan 25, 2010
SW VA
getting ready to add 2nd thermostat, I have been using my OWB with the forced air. Currently I have my outdoor unit (heat pump) breaker(s) in off position, letting the air handler cycle with the single thermostat

Any input would be appreciated before I have to trek into the darkness of the crawl space

Spent a while down there just last weekend, no fun. I dragged my stuff in a cloth shopping satchel, which worked pretty well. Field expedient "miner's hat" and communication gear really helped.

Attachments

• 000_0030.jpg
    000_0030.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 295
ewdudley said:
Field expedient 'miner's hat" and communication gear really helped.
LOL, love it ewd...us iron ore miners use the new-fangled-stretchy-over-the-hard-hat-LED kind now. We're moving up in 'da world. Just don't look at your co-worker directly though...daaannnggg they're bright.

2nd thermostat? Why not a single thermostat with 2 stage heat?

I persoanlly used the AC circuit on my first thermostat to wire in a second thermostat. I switch of the AC breaker in the winter and presto - second thermostat functionality with zero new wires running in the walls.

Yes sir. Just that easy. Put a disconnect on the boiler side of the AC line so you aren't running any pumps in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.