Adding single logs with a cat stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I have a fireview and was trying to maintain a small fire at moderate temp (275 to 325 on the top). When the fire wood get down to one red log or coals, I would add a small split or two.

Is this a problem in any way? Do I need to bypass the cat for a few minutes, even if the temp remains above 250º on the top? I did just to be safe, but maybe that's not really necessary with well-seasoned wood.

According to Woodstock you should always bypass for at least 10 minutes to drive off moisture, but I have heard other cat stove owners that do it with good dry wood. I have never burned 1 or 2 splits at a time always 3 or more and if I don't need the heat I turn the air way down.

I always remember that anything under 3 does not burn good at all. Try it in an outdoor fire sometime so you can see what happens. 3 or more burns great. Less than 3 is difficult to make a fire. So, when I put wood in, it is almost always 3 or more at a time.

Yes, you do need to bypass the cat whenever you add wood. Todd says some do it with super day wood. My wood is super dry but I will always disengage that cat when wood is added. Better to be safe than sorry and we are only talking 10-15 minutes, which also happens to be about the same amount of time for setting the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.