Adding soapstone to top of cast iron stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdesautelle

Sep 16, 2008
G'bury, CT
beats me
I am considering getting a slab of soapstone from Woodstock Stove, cutting to fit the top of my Morso 2110 to increase the heat time of the stove. The slab will cost a few hundred dollars.

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it and will it give some of the benefits of a soapstone stove?

Karen

Have you talked to the folks at Woodstock? If not, give them a call and see what they recommend although I can see no reason it would not work.

Years ago we used to put a slab of soapstone on the stove (but it did not cover the entire top). That, wrapped in a blanket worked for a heater in a car that had no heater (Model A) or when going on sleigh rides. Kept the feet warm. Yes, it also worked very well for keeping feet warm in beds.

You'll find that many old folks used to also heat rocks on or behind their stoves. These stones would then radiate heat as the stove cooled. Naturally, it took some time to heat those rocks.

You might try doing a search for companies who build soapstone countertops. Not sure how many there are though.

Didn't someone do something similar with an Englander 30? I was actually looking for that post/pics this morning, but couldn't find it. Anyone else see that post? If so, please share the link.

I bought a Keystone and am top venting it. There was a leftover piece that would've been placed over the top vented part if you chose to rear vent. Anyway, I put that on top of my stove (middle section) and had woodstock fabricate two side pieces so I could have a smooth cooktop surface all the way across. I paid $80 total for the two stone pieces. I consider it a worthy investment because I can put anything on the top to humidify or heat pots of food/liquid. Plus, these stone tops protect the actual stove from damage.

As far as your situation, I agree to check around for any other countertop places. They might have extra pieces laying around. I've also seen tile places that carry soapstone tile. Woodstock will do a great job getting the slab to your required dimension, but you might be able to do better doing some research.

um, interesting thought.... but did you see this in the link abouve
""This one has been discussed before, and the basic conclusion is that your stove isn’t designed to do that, and altering the transfer rate of heat out of the stove could damage the stove. I don’t think weights would alter that too much since the surface contact patch is pretty small, but a flat stone that has good contact likely would alter it. Just look at the Morso line of stoves that have the soapstone options (3400 series I believe) No direct contact, just placed on the outside of a “convection” flow. "

Since your stove is new and under warranty, I wouldn't alter it. If you'd develop a problem, the last thing you would want is to be told is that is that warranty has been voided because of some non-OEM approved modifications. Now, if Morso sold an optional add-on soapstone top that is approved for your model and you used it, that would be different. (Napoleon sells a fairly heafty soapstone stab for the top of their direct-vent cast iron stoves. I put a link to a photo in the other thread that's running about Jotul's optional soapstone tops.) Discussion of soapstone tops for Jotuls

I spoke to Woodstock stoves on the phone, that is where I got the $200 - $300 price.

Since I wrote this, I did find the discussion on Jotuls and soap stones, but now after reading Moondoggy's post, I should probably do nothing for now. I did like the morso soapstones, but were on too large a stove, but I guess there is a reason there is an air way between the soapstone and the cast iron... I think I will leave it alone for now.

There is a place here in NJ called M. Teixeira (sp.) soapstone (www.soapstones.com). I was quoted $299 for a 48" x 30" x 1 1/4" piece of soapstone for a hearth project. Maybe an idea would be to have a piece of soapstone over 4 corners of cut soapstone tile "feet" for an airway. The tiles are 12" x 12" x 1/4" thick and $10 each. I also found this place advertising soapstone woodstove tops, but they seem kind of expensive - http://www.vermontwoodstove.com/wssstops.htm.

*** Just food for thought *** :)

petes334 said:
I would also give Dorado Soapstone a call at 303-429-1387 for a price quote as well. They have a great selection of soapstone.

I'm thinking that since the last person posted on this thread 14 months ago that by now they've either decided to go with one of the other companies or not go with the soapstone top. ;) :)

Didn't somebody do this? I recall seeing a picture on here...

cycloxer said:
Didn't somebody do this? I recall seeing a picture on here...

Yeah, it seems to me that someone did put a soapstone slab on top of his stove . . . I believe it was a Jotul Oslo. ;)

It's not a bad idea if you want to add some thermal mass to your stove. I don't really have that problem and I like being able to fire up my stove and get it up to temp quick, but I am an evening & weekend burner. I doubt adding a soapstone panel to a stove would hurt it, but adding a huge heatsink will add to the time it takes to get the stove to temp. You're not the guy with the soapstone top are you? I know that would be a relatively easy mod to my Castine as the whole top comes right off w/ 2 bolts. You could literally machine a piece of soapstone to match and completely replace the top. That would be pretty cool if you are into stoves made from rocks.

cycloxer said:
It's not a bad idea if you want to add some thermal mass to your stove. I don't really have that problem and I like being able to fire up my stove and get it up to temp quick, but I am an evening & weekend burner. I doubt adding a soapstone panel to a stove would hurt it, but adding a huge heatsink will add to the time it takes to get the stove to temp. You're not the guy with the soapstone top are you? I know that would be a relatively easy mod to my Castine as the whole top comes right off w/ 2 bolts. You could literally machine a piece of soapstone to match and completely replace the top. That would be pretty cool if you are into stoves made from rocks.

Hehheh . . . you've got me . . . yeah, I was that guy.

However, I didn't replace the cast iron top with a soapstone top . . . I just had a soapstone top matching the top fabricated and then had a few soapstone pads placed underneath the slab to allow the heated air to circulate.

I've found that there is no real advantage or disadvantage to this change . . . there really isn't enough soapstone to give any real thermal mass gain. Conversely, the stove's heating characteristics (how fast it heats up and cools down and circulates the air) has not changed either.

I like the look of the soapstone, but that's really it . . . it's more of a cosmetic change.

firefighterjake said:
I've found that there is no real advantage or disadvantage to this change

I have a suspicion the cat may find some advantage to the soapstone top...

karri0n said:
firefighterjake said:
I've found that there is no real advantage or disadvantage to this change

I have a suspicion the cat may find some advantage to the soapstone top...

Ah . . . you remember the story of the cat on the hot tin . . . I mean cast iron stove. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.