ADDING ZONE VALVES TO BYPASS CONVECTORS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBERT F

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2009
CENTRAL COLORADO
HELLO ONE AND ALL! NEW TO THIS SITE AS A POSTER, BEEN LURKING IN THE DEPTHS OF DARKNESS FOR A WHILE. MY QUESTION CONCERNS THE FEASABILITY OF ADDING ZONE VALVES TO BYPASS CONVECTORS, AS I HAVE 4 SEPERATE ROOMS THAT THE FLOW TO IS CONTROLLED BY A THERM IN THE HALLWAY, THAT IS HEATED BY A WOOD STOVE. HAD A HVAC COMPANY OUT AND THEY SAID ONLY WAY TO DO IT WAS TO ADD ALL NEW FEED LINES, AND POSSIBLY BE ABLE TO USE MY OLD LINES AS A RETURN. IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE MORE THERMS IN EACH ROOM TO CONTROL CIRCULATOR PUMP/ ZONE VALVES? I HAVE A 5,300+ SQ/FT HOUSE RUNNING ONLY 4 ZONES! ONE FOR THE ENTIRE UNFINISHED, UNINSULATED, 2700+, VERY OPEN FLOOR PLAN, ONE FOR THE MASTER BEDROOM, ONE FOR THE KITCHEN/DINING/GREAT ROOM, AND THE ONE THAT CONTROLS FLOW TO 4 ROOMS, OV VARYING SIZES AND CONVECTOR SIZES. A VERY POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM TO SAY THE LEAST! IT IS ALL COPPER PIPING, AND THE BOILER IS A EARLY '80'S BURNHAM, PROPANE FIRED, UNKNOWN BTU'S AND UNKNOWN TANK SIZE. THANKS FOR ANY INSITE THAT CAN BE OFFERED.

It is hard for me to read all capitals letters, folks assume you are yelling at them.

Did you say you have four zones? Does that mean that there is a source and four returns?

If your system has a loop for each zone then you should not need to add any more lines (that means a hot water source line (could be singular) and a return line for each zone)

Welcome to the forums, but I would repeat the earlier request to use MiXeD CaSe when posting, just like in any other kind of writing. Using all caps is considered rude at the very least....

I would also suggest that it is very hard for us to understand your system and make suggestions with as little information as you've given us - if you can make even a crude sketch to show your current plumbing layout it would help a great deal.

Lastly, one of the points that we make here on a very regular basis, and sounds like it applies in your case, is that money put into insulation improvements often has a much better payback than money put into heating systems.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.