Addition update 4-16-12

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn that is one nice addition. Love the photos of all your hard work.

Since it was cooler & rainy, and couldn't do clear coating, I decided to start the cabinets & counter top in my big closet/walk through to bedroom/storage area for office supplies. I even ordered 4 cabinet & furniture making books, but didn't have time to wait for them to be delivered. I framed the base of all 2'x4" boards. This thing is hurricane proof LOL. Since the counter top and cabinet base steps in from 19-1/2" to 13", I could not use a simple pre-made laminate top. I toiled with what to do, and came to 2 choices... hickory veneer laminate(do it myself over a substrate, or real wood planks fasted together with pocket holes(Kreg Jig). The wood would look great and with clear gloss really look nice, but would scratch very easily. Then it came to me... I have a couple boxes of the Tuscany Stone laminate flooring left. I decided to use MDF board as the substrate and lay the laminate on top, with a 1"x2" Oak front edging which I cut a groove to accept the laminate lock edge. The main straight part went great, sits flush together and looks nice. The 45 degree step in and the remaining straight run after that I had to cut with a cordless circular saw. The cut was acceptable, but I had to make the locking edge to slide into the Oak trim, since the original locking edge got cut off at the step in. I trimmed it too far in and the Oak trim didn't mate to it, there was a gap about 1/4" between. I am going to try another pc but use a Dato this time. I was using a saw table taking a blades width off at a time and needed to take 5/16" off and 3/16" deep. Not easy making passes on a saw table with the pc upside down and having to stop before the step in. Frustrating, but I will get it right!
Heading to Dallas tomorrow for meetings for work. I'll post pics when I get back. Still will ahve to make the front framing and doors and maybe a drawer or two. Never made cabinets or counter top before, but I will get this.

Since it was cooler & rainy, and couldn't do clear coating, I decided to start the cabinets & counter top in my big closet/walk through to bedroom/storage area for office supplies. I even ordered 4 cabinet & furniture making books, but didn't have time to wait for them to be delivered. I framed the base of all 2'x4" boards. This thing is hurricane proof LOL. Since the counter top and cabinet base steps in from 19-1/2" to 13", I could not use a simple pre-made laminate top. I toiled with what to do, and came to 2 choices... hickory veneer laminate(do it myself over a substrate, or real wood planks fasted together with pocket holes(Kreg Jig). The wood would look great and with clear gloss really look nice, but would scratch very easily. Then it came to me... I have a couple boxes of the Tuscany Stone laminate flooring left. I decided to use MDF board as the substrate and lay the laminate on top, with a 1"x2" Oak front edging which I cut a groove to accept the laminate lock edge. The main straight part went great, sits flush together and looks nice. The 45 degree step in and the remaining straight run after that I had to cut with a cordless circular saw. The cut was acceptable, but I had to make the locking edge to slide into the Oak trim, since the original locking edge got cut off at the step in. I trimmed it too far in and the Oak trim didn't mate to it, there was a gap about 1/4" between. I am going to try another pc but use a Dato this time. I was using a saw table taking a blades width off at a time and needed to take 5/16" off and 3/16" deep. Not easy making passes on a saw table with the pc upside down and having to stop before the step in. Frustrating, but I will get it right!
Heading to Dallas tomorrow for meetings for work. I'll post pics when I get back. Still will ahve to make the front framing and doors and maybe a drawer or two. Never made cabinets or counter top before, but I will get this.
Wait for those books, or go on line before you make the drawers. There are good commercial drawer guides available that will give you years of good performance. Drawers, made right will stay together and keep you very happy, but joinery here is key. So neat to take one finger and open and close a drawer.
I like what you have done. Working with wood, knowing grain and texture is an art and you seam to have a connection and talent for it.
If that saw in your first picture is what I think it is, it will set up for turning wood. Have you tried that yet?
Have a safe trip. Hope you keep the pic's comming.

Status
Not open for further replies.