1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Addition update June 2012

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Hogwildz, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Well, the cabinet and counter top I made are just about done. Have to make the drawer cover and touch up a few areas, oh and clear coat and install the window trim. The faucet is just mocked up for now, want to get the window trim on before I install the faucet.

Far from perfect, but I am really happy with how my first cabinet build came out. Especially since I didn't draw anything up, just started building off a vision in my head and kept going. Should have drawn it up and I would not have had to change and redo a few tings, but it is almost complete and didn't cost very much.

Well, once again, the new forum format just is not cooperating for me to upload photos. I am not thrilled with this new forum as far as uploading photos. So I think my days of photos on here are done. Trying over and over to have errors continually pop up is just something I don't have patience for. So looks like my participation will be text only. Very frustrating.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Lookin good Hogz..

Pics came out well... Looks great.

Is the 30-NC going in this area??
  3. Hogwildz

Loc:
    Well some of the photos uploaded, seems like every time I groan about it, it will then load at least a few.
    The wood is all pine, select for the doors, regular crap for the face framing. The counter top is made from the laminate flooring I had left over. The counter top edge trim is red oak which I cut a groove in the back side to accept the lip of the laminate flooring. I had to move an outlet that was originally in the wall which is not the back of the cabinet. And had to keep the whole thing 20" in depth as it is only 16" from wall to doorway opening and it would have been sticking out too far. Didn't want to be walking into the counter all the time. I tapered the end near the door to about 11". This proved to be the most challenging part, and I had to attempt to cut the 45 degree angle and then a straight away where the counter top tapers in. then cut a lip on the edge of the laminate to slid into the edge trim. This is where not having all those fancy proper tools sucks. But I did my best and it turned out "ok".
  4. Hogwildz

Loc:
    Ok out of about 10 tries to upload photos, it worked once. I'm done with this fkn sht. Guess the new set up is not satellite friendly!:mad:
  5. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    Hogz, I think you did an awesome job. I love the rustic feel to it.
    It reminds me of some of the renovations my husband has done in our house.

My husband is a contractor and I showed him your other photos and he loved what you have done.
    So what if it ain't perfect. You did your best without all the fancy tools and without breaking the bank.
    Kudos man!

Hopefully Craig can pinpoint you photo uploading problem because we all enjoy your pics. half smiley.jpg
  6. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Looks great Hogz! I have talked to a few guys at work and they used ceramic, porcelain or marble tile for a countertop surface and I think that I decide to renovate the kitchen I will do that here.. If you have trouble with the pics uploading I could post them for you as my photos seem to upload OK here or you could upload to a photo site and just link to them.

Ray
  7. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Man, it looks fine. I like the matching floor and counter.

As far as photos, I haven't put any up from a computer in a long time. My phone is waaaaay easier, takes decent pics, and I can resize if I need too. I do remember it taking forever with satellite internet, only to get an error that said the pic was too big or something.

Ray, I did my kitchen counters in 6" ceramic tiles, and I can't wait to get rid of it. It looks decent, and has held up well, but it is a PITA when I want a smooth surface to do anything. Never again.
    raybonz likes this.
  8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The safety police will likely be along shortly so I hope those outlets are GFI protected.

You can do a lot with pine, looks good from where I sit.
  9. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Looking good Hog.
    Pic 72 looks almost like the cabs are floating.
    Man, don't give up on the pics,...they're awesome so far.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Looking good Hogz. Don't give up on the pics. It would be a shame to not share what you are doing.
  11. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Looks great...Keep trying with the pictures!
  12. Hogwildz

Loc:
    The
    30 is going in the new office, the prior posts photos with the stone wall
    DexterDay likes this.