Addition update June 2012

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Well, the cabinet and counter top I made are just about done. Have to make the drawer cover and touch up a few areas, oh and clear coat and install the window trim. The faucet is just mocked up for now, want to get the window trim on before I install the faucet.

Far from perfect, but I am really happy with how my first cabinet build came out. Especially since I didn't draw anything up, just started building off a vision in my head and kept going. Should have drawn it up and I would not have had to change and redo a few tings, but it is almost complete and didn't cost very much.

Well, once again, the new forum format just is not cooperating for me to upload photos. I am not thrilled with this new forum as far as uploading photos. So I think my days of photos on here are done. Trying over and over to have errors continually pop up is just something I don't have patience for. So looks like my participation will be text only. Very frustrating.

Attachments

• SAM_3472.jpg
    SAM_3472.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 152
  • SAM_3473.jpg
    SAM_3473.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 152
  • SAM_3474.jpg
    SAM_3474.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 161
  • SAM_3485.jpg
    SAM_3485.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 147
Lookin good Hogz..

Pics came out well... Looks great.

Is the 30-NC going in this area??

Well some of the photos uploaded, seems like every time I groan about it, it will then load at least a few.
The wood is all pine, select for the doors, regular crap for the face framing. The counter top is made from the laminate flooring I had left over. The counter top edge trim is red oak which I cut a groove in the back side to accept the lip of the laminate flooring. I had to move an outlet that was originally in the wall which is not the back of the cabinet. And had to keep the whole thing 20" in depth as it is only 16" from wall to doorway opening and it would have been sticking out too far. Didn't want to be walking into the counter all the time. I tapered the end near the door to about 11". This proved to be the most challenging part, and I had to attempt to cut the 45 degree angle and then a straight away where the counter top tapers in. then cut a lip on the edge of the laminate to slid into the edge trim. This is where not having all those fancy proper tools sucks. But I did my best and it turned out "ok".

Ok out of about 10 tries to upload photos, it worked once. I'm done with this fkn sht. Guess the new set up is not satellite friendly!:mad:

Hogz, I think you did an awesome job. I love the rustic feel to it.
It reminds me of some of the renovations my husband has done in our house.

My husband is a contractor and I showed him your other photos and he loved what you have done.
So what if it ain't perfect. You did your best without all the fancy tools and without breaking the bank.
Kudos man!

Hopefully Craig can pinpoint you photo uploading problem because we all enjoy your pics. half smiley.jpg

Looks great Hogz! I have talked to a few guys at work and they used ceramic, porcelain or marble tile for a countertop surface and I think that I decide to renovate the kitchen I will do that here.. If you have trouble with the pics uploading I could post them for you as my photos seem to upload OK here or you could upload to a photo site and just link to them.

Ray

Man, it looks fine. I like the matching floor and counter.

As far as photos, I haven't put any up from a computer in a long time. My phone is waaaaay easier, takes decent pics, and I can resize if I need too. I do remember it taking forever with satellite internet, only to get an error that said the pic was too big or something.

Ray, I did my kitchen counters in 6" ceramic tiles, and I can't wait to get rid of it. It looks decent, and has held up well, but it is a PITA when I want a smooth surface to do anything. Never again.

Reactions: raybonz
The safety police will likely be along shortly so I hope those outlets are GFI protected.

You can do a lot with pine, looks good from where I sit.

The
Lookin good Hogz..

Pics came out well... Looks great.

Is the 30-NC going in this area??
30 is going in the new office, the prior posts photos with the stone wall

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.