Adjustable elbows NOT anymore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbear853

Feeling the Heat
So, recently I replaced my 3" Dura Vent stove flue, some of it was 20+ years aged, the one tee outside was sound inside where it was stainless steel, not leaking, but the outer steel had some cancer. When I put my stove in in '92, I put it in a corner on a hearth I built, I used an adjustable elbow and straightened out one side and clipped a relief in the outer to allow me to clamp it's inner wall tube of stainless steel to the heavy wall 3" OD stove exhaust pipe outlet, once adjusted by twisting, I coated the seams with a generous slathering of Orange Hi Temp RTV then, it has never leaked. As part of my replacement, I bought a new one to use in it's place (with an 6" extension adapter this time). Actually two, but one is outside at the top of the flu to angle the venturie end. I remembered long ago that the one behind the stove was stiff, so not surprised when I adjust the new one using two rubber banded strap wrenches against each other, It's M & G Duravent 3PVL-E90R 3 , I'll seal the joints like before, but I was reviewing my order, they say it's non adjustable?

When did that change I wonder.

1127201549 (640x470).jpg

I dont think they were ever intended to be adjustable.

I dont think they were ever intended to be adjustable.
Well, they once were but I understand them changing the official line, cutting a round tube at any other than perpendicular to it's axis results in an elipse (spl?) and the elipse increases in length with the angle of the cut and elipse only match perfectly in two placements. Perhaps they just had too many issues with seals or something, In the photo above, I see three cuts where the angles were 15 degrees each, but the newer ones use just two such cuts of 22.5 degrees, Perhaps by eliminating a cut or seam, they saved on manufacturing expense.

No biggie, mine will work as I just straightened out one leg by rotating the stove end 180 degrees so I end up with a short 45 on the flu end and a longer straight on the stove side which works fine, the elipse match too. I'll seal the new one too when used. The new one also has a rotating flu end that will be of use.

3PVL-E90R.jpg

They never were but they are. How does that sound. IOW, you can with effort but they might leak.

Reactions: tbear853