Adjustable vent bracket/standoff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P38X2

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2012
Jaffrey, NH
I'm thinking of adding a vertical section to my vent pipe. Right now it's straight out. The stove burns fine, but since upgrading to a P68 (from a 38) I'm getting a bit more smoke in my house during scrapings than I'd like. Hopefully more draft will solve the problem.

My question is does anyone make an adjustable bracket? If I remove the horizontal section that passes through the thimble and replace it with a shorter piece in order to get the pipe closer to the wall, it's likely not gonna end up exactly where it needs to be. Moving the stove in or out is NOT an option, so I'd need a bracket that has some adjustability to it.

I suppose I could cannibalize a bracket and add or remove material, but looking for a less customized approach.

Reactions: DBCOOPER
Yes, thanks for the info :)

You can easily add a piece of aluminum between the two pieces of the bracket. Two cuts with a dremel and four drilled holes for the bolts on each side and you will be good to go. Probably five dollars at home depot or Lowes. I will try to take a picture of how I did mine later.

Reactions: PennPellet
You can easily add a piece of aluminum between the two pieces of the bracket. Two cuts with a dremel and four drilled holes for the bolts on each side and you will be good to go. Probably five dollars at home depot or Lowes. I will try to take a picture of how I did mine later.
Thanks, a picture would be great.

Here is what I did. Just cut a piece of aluminum to size for each side and then drilled holes to attach the bolts. Takes maybe ten minutes if you have a dremel (doesn't everybody who has a pellet stove?).

I just put a piece of red cedar 2x4 against my siding and screwed into that to give myself a little more clearance.

Here is what I did. Just cut a piece of aluminum to size for each side and then drilled holes to attach the bolts. Takes maybe ten minutes if you have a dremel (doesn't everybody who has a pellet stove?).

Excellent, that's exactly what i wanted to see. Thanks for the help!

I'm thinking of adding a vertical section to my vent pipe. Right now it's straight out. The stove burns fine, but since upgrading to a P68 (from a 38) I'm getting a bit more smoke in my house during scrapings than I'd like. Hopefully more draft will solve the problem.

My question is does anyone make an adjustable bracket? If I remove the horizontal section that passes through the thimble and replace it with a shorter piece in order to get the pipe closer to the wall, it's likely not gonna end up exactly where it needs to be. Moving the stove in or out is NOT an option, so I'd need a bracket that has some adjustability to it.

I suppose I could cannibalize a bracket and add or remove material, but looking for a less customized approach.

Excell has an adjustable bracket. Adjusts from 1" to 5"

http://www.stoves-pipes.com/ICC-EXCEL-PELLET-3-4-ADJUSTABLE-WALL-SUPPORT-p/pmpsw.htm

There is also the possibility of using a variable length vent section. I think that Duravent makes an adjustable 12" section.

There is also the possibility of using a variable length vent section. I think that Duravent makes an adjustable 12" section.

Pretty sure the adjustable section is only meant for vertical portions of the vent. It also won't fit through the duravent thimble. Even if you were able to get it to fit you would have to be careful to not get the seam in the wall space.

I went through the same thing, ended up having to use a two foot section of horizontal out the wall (wall is almost 12 inches thick).

Thanks for the responses. I back burnered the reconfiguration, at least til spring. At this point, I simply do my pot scrapes during maintenance burn time. I wanna keep it clean looking on the outside, and I have my doubts that adding a 3' section would do much.

Reactions: jdinny
I agree. I was going to do the 3" vertical rise, but decided against it.

That plus the fact I'd have to add another 90 before the cap. I don't know exactly what 90's do to the EVL, but my guess is it would decrease and draft gained by the 3' section by half.

It's all good how it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.