Adjusted the draft on my P61A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck_22

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Got a hold of a Dwyer 2302 and adjusted my draft today. On the initial start of the test cycle I recorded -.65, after the fan slowed down to low I had -.55 and that is too high according to instructions. I lowered it to -.35
What can I expect on the performance side of things?

Comments/Suggestions?

Thanks

Harman is the only stove I know of, that automatically varies the feed rate to keep the temperature constant. In order to accomplish this, when the feed rate slows down the fuel/air mixture must be maintained for optimum performance. So if the draft is too high for the feed rate then there will be too much air, like having the damper on a manual stove open too much. If there is too much air it burns the pellets too quickly and the flame height is lower than it should be so less heat is given off.

Reactions: chickenman
^^Therefore I should see an improvement in efficiency then.

Does the Harman manual reference draft numbers at specific intervals/stages of burn? Or do they suggest measurement and adjustment at one specific stage? I have not tested my stove and would like to in the future. Thanks!

Does the Harman manual reference draft numbers at specific intervals/stages of burn? Or do they suggest measurement and adjustment at one specific stage? I have not tested my stove and would like to in the future. Thanks!

It is done on the test cycle, with the vent installed, the procedure is outlined is the manuals on page 21.

Also Remember
A slower high current combustion moter speed reduces air to raise the flame when less pellets feed so you get the most heat on low heat levels! The big 5" Harman Double Paddle blades are the best! However a Larger 9 Petal Quadrafire or 11 Petal Kozi Blades are good enough to be a great Low Drafter!

Here is an easy way to remember! LOL

Sung to the tune of "The Low Rider"

All my friends Know the Pellet Stove Low DraftEr

The Low DraftEr burns a flame on low heat a little Higher!

The Low DraftEr runs his rpms a little LowEr!
Because the Low DraftEr has a large petal higher current exhaust BlowEr!!

The Low DraftEr knows every pellet stove part YEA !!
The Low DraftEr really wants the heat YEA !!

The Low DraftEr don't use oil or LP gas!
The Low DraftEr don't burn pellets too fast!

Come on Over, Come On Over and SeeE !! Just get close and warm yourself with ME ! !

Last edited:
Jeez I didn't know Bob Dylan, or is it SnoopDogg, was a pellet burner:)

That song Low Rider is by an old group called War back in the mid seventies! LOL
Low Rider came out 5 years before the very 1st wood pellet stove was made! ROFL

That song Low Rider is by an old group called War back in the mid seventies! LOL
Low Rider came out 5 years before the very 1st wood pellet stove was made! ROFL

That was first year of high school for me, good tune and memories.

That was first year of high school for me, good tune and memories.

Thanks! Glad someone remembers!
Since you have a P61 you are a good low drafter, but you may want to check the combustion motor tag. Some of the old Jakel motors were a good 1.7 amps. However some later GA blowers were only 1.35 amps! So if there is a 1.35 amp blower you may want to consider a new upgraded 1.75 amp GA blower! ! !

Thanks! Glad someone remembers!
Since you have a P61 you are a good low drafter, but you may want to check the combustion motor tag. Some of the old Jakel motors were a good 1.7 amps. However some later GA blowers were only 1.35 amps! So if there is a 1.35 amp blower you may want to consider a new upgraded 1.75 amp GA blower! ! !

My stove is 6 months old.

Also remember the song "WAR",another great one(god I am getting old)and pertains even today!

War by Edwin Starr? That was in 1969! Now you are getting up there!

Reactions: Mt Bob
See Don you can come up with good stuff!:cool: I am still trying to get a handle on why you would think higher amp draw would give you more speed/airflow?We are talking about vfd speed control.And more fan blades,or bigger blades,running at the same speed give more airflow,not less.

See Don you can come up with good stuff!:cool: I am still trying to get a handle on why you would think higher amp draw would give you more speed/airflow?We are talking about vfd speed control.And more fan blades,or bigger blades,running at the same speed give more airflow,not less.

Larger blades need more torque that is really why a higher current motor is employed.

I just added that to the Lyrics. Thanks

It took 2 days to come up with those lyrics but you are right, still the lyrics must be technically correct. :)

Bet if you looked up the motor specs you would find any of those impellers are below the threshold,making no difference.By the way,remember Kent State?

Bet if you looked up the motor specs you would find any of those impellers are below the threshold,making no difference.By the way,remember Kent State?
I work on a lot of pellet stoves and usually when I see large impeller blades I see a motor rated for higher current. It makes sense so there must be a difference.
Yes, I remember Kent State.

Status
Not open for further replies.