adjustments and, settings add on furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chumscustoms

Jan 29, 2009
se iowa
i just purchased a property that has no insulation and the previous owner purchased a norseman 2500 for the place and never installed it so i feel obligated to use it for a couple years since it is already here.
I installed it and connected it to my lp furnace, on the door there are settings and the ash door has a spin out damper.
if i dont open the ash door damper then the fire burns a long time but i can not get heat to the lp furnace,
if i open it i get plenty of heat to the lp furnace, but it will go through a full oad of dryed split locust and oak in 3 to 4 hours.
I would like to go to work for 8 hours and come back with some coals left.
do i possibly have to much chimney draft, i ordered a chimney damper, will that help
and is it possible to add a thermostatically controlled air supply that would help with the wood consumption
i just want to get this going till i have cash for an outdoor wood furnace
please help

thank ben

yes the damper is going to help more so than thermostatically controlled air supply will. Your on the right track put the damper in and see how that does before doing anything eles

thanks for the reply, is there a target chimney temp, approx 3.5 ft from the stove outlet, i just want to make sure i am not gettting the chimney to hot. but i know the damper should also help that
thsnk ben

Does it have a thermodisc on the back, or a limit/control. If its got the limit control, set your blowers for 90 off and 140 on. That will make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.