Adolescent age vs. chainsaw use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller- good stories. I completely relate to the watching the 180 deg. turn, look at the big grin while simultaneously ducking for cover thing. It's appalling and scary sometimes, knowing who has what, and knowing they shouldn't. (make sense?) When I was a practicing gunsmith, I was convinced about 80% of people should not be allowed to own firearms. I tried to teach as much as I could, but like you said, some people just never get it.

Beetle-Kill said:
Hey Smokin- night vision and a ghillie suit. No need to say more. :coolgrin:

lol You have a great plan! I have about a year to get fully loaded I meen ready.

How old was I? I really don't remember but growing up on the farm we did a lot of things at a young age that other kids never got the chance to do.

Should you allow the kid to run the saw. We can not answer that. Only you, the kid and his parents can answer that. Much depends upon the kid. If he is not too strong then I'd definitely hesitate with the saw. The splitter maybe would be a better start but supervision is totally necessary no matter what he does. Good luck.

To be honest, I don't want my soon to be 21 year old running a chain saw. He is a very strong and athletic young man but also very careless and immature in his behavior. Trusting him to "be smart" with a saw could be a foolish decision, one I'm not making.
As others have said, the circumstance and person involved mean much more than age.

I don't have kids but I have nephews. I would much sooner try to teach my 7 year old nephew to shoot my .22 than to run a chainsaw. Nevermind that his mother would kill me if she knew either was happening :).

Status
Not open for further replies.