Q&A Advantage of blower in gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm considering buying a gas fireplace and am having difficulty with the choices. The main question is should I get one with a blower? I'm impressed with Valor's flame and would like to believe that their technique is my better choice (less BTU input), but will it be as effective?

Answer:

Look at the efficiency of the fireplace to determine if the heat is being transferred without a blower. The best number if the AFUE, which is Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. A number at or around 70% is very good. It's true that many units are too large...sort of a "battle of the BTU's" among the manufacturers. You can use the BTU sizing guide on HearthNet to get an idea how many you might need - https://www.hearth.com/calc/btucalc.html

Link: Heat Calculator Link

Status
Not open for further replies.