Advantages to different types of Ram styles.... built into I beam or 2 plates bolted together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipster314

Dec 12, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Just thought I would start another post to help me decide which log splitter. Looking at Huskee 22 ton with the ram guides being built into the I beam, over top of the actual ram plate as compared to an older MTD where the ram plate bolts around the I beam. Other than the Huskee method creating a nice cradle for logs this way what are the pros and cons.

Thanks

I have noticed this for some time but have been surprised it has never been brought up as far as I know. I like the MTD design as the beam is self cleaning. The Huskee looks like wood chips would get wedged into or at least build up in the guides of the beam. On the other hand, I've never seen anyone complain of that problem. Also, it would be less of a concern if you were operating the splitter vertically. One other item, as the wedge or guides get slop in them, I can replace the gibs (nothing more than sacrificial shim stock). I don't know if there is anyway to adjust wear/slack on the Husky or not. Then again, does anyone other than me have any concern about it? Heck, my buddy has an older MTD that sits outside year 'round and never lubes or adjusts the gibs. The gibs are long gone and the wedge has actually worn the sides of the I-beam quite a bit. A heck of a lot of slop. Still seems to work fine though. So maybe that is also of no real concern for the Huskee.

Steve

It's been discussed in the past, but not a lot - as mentioned earlier it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. The horizontal guys seem to like the Huskee style channel beam a bit better as it functions as a log cradle when splitting. Vertically it doesn't make any difference... In theory the Huskee beam design should be stronger as all the extra bends in the metal should add some stiffness - but how much that's needed is doubtful.

My personal preference is for the external plate sandwich on the beam design - seems less likely to build up crud, and if / when it ever wears out or breaks, should be easier to repair... I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker on a splitter I liked either way though.

Wear is not a huge issue - we are talking big chunks of steel, moving very slowly, and not all that many times (Think about how many times that splitter cylinder goes up and down compared to say one of the pistons in your car engine...) probably would wear out a lot of other parts before the beam wear gets bad enough to be an issue...

Gooserider

chipster314 said:
Just thought I would start another post to help me decide which log splitter. Looking at Huskee 22 ton with the ram guides being built into the I beam, over top of the actual ram plate as compared to an older MTD where the ram plate bolts around the I beam. Other than the Huskee method creating a nice cradle for logs this way what are the pros and cons.

Thanks

Chipster:
You are as bad or worse than me. I thought you bought a splitter a week ago :)
I've finally narrowed it down to 2 (3 if Lowes 25 Ton counts) in my procrastinating cheapskate search. No bites on a use one for 3 months so I guess new.

Speeco (= huskee) & mabe others: 22 ton/ honda $1600 , but to go on sale for 1500 next month.
OR

MTD (=Troybuilt, & some craftsman, yard machine, cub cadet) 21 Ton, Briggs, at Ace, for $1250 if shipping is free or reasonable.
(I think the fine print at Ace said 70% off for shipping to AK, just need to find out what bottom line $ is)
(Lowes has a 25 ton troybult (mtd) / honda on sale $1647 & I noticed the pump leaking(drip), may hit them up for price reduction & new pump)

By the way:
MTD recalls log splitters, : http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10062.html

Status
Not open for further replies.