Advice for firewood saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those sound like reasonable conclusions to me. I also think you picked a good saw. The Makita is a Dolmar, so parts should be relatively easy to come by and they are a good quality saw to begin with.

I'm a little uneasy about buying a 2 cycle engine sight unseen, hopefully things will work out well with this one.

Don't forget the PPE.

I am crossing my fingers as to the engines condition. I also hope all goes well.

As for PPE, I have steel toes, good gloves, hearing and eye protection. I stiil need to run down some chaps though.

MrGriz said:
Those sound like reasonable conclusions to me. I also think you picked a good saw. The Makita is a Dolmar, so parts should be relatively easy to come by and they are a good quality saw to begin with.

I'm a little uneasy about buying a 2 cycle engine sight unseen, hopefully things will work out well with this one.

Don't forget the PPE.

boondockin........I'm in the same boat, my hand me down 42cc craftsman bogs down on bigger stuff. My buget is 350.00
I'm looking at the MS 290 FarmBoss (18 inch bar) the 16 inch starts at $339.00........56cc is pretty solid unless you are cutting giant trunks.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS290.html

Anyone here back up the MS 290 FarmBoss for power?

I took the saw in to a local shop for a general check-up. It did have required repairs: a broken bar stud and worn drive sprockets. I am happy to say that he gave the engine a thumbs-up. ;)

That's good news. Now get out and cut some wood!

You'll be pleased with that saw. In addition to setting a number of friends up with ex-HomeDepot Rental 6401s, I've run the larger-displacement version for a few years now (7900), and have been consistently pleased. If/when you want a bit more go out of your saw, the 7900 piston and cylinder is a 20 minute, $190 swap that puts you in the 6.3hp range.

Status
Not open for further replies.