Advice for Harman Invincible RS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Sandahl

Feb 27, 2014
Hanson MA
New to this forum and pellet stoves. Last Saturday I picked up my first pellet stove to replace an existing Harman coal stove. The stove is extremely clean and really doesnt look like it was used much at all. I picked up 10 bags of Lignetics (green lettering) and lit the stove according to the instructions. It did not come with the room sensor so I am on stove temp. There was about 10 lbs of pellets in the stove already and I topped it off. Stove temp on 7, feed on 3, got a good fire going, adjusted stove temp to 5, house was 72, 1 1/2" of ash which was like powder. By Tuesday the ash really started piling up and still resembled pellets. I could also see smoke in the back of the pot. The ash would cake up and overhang the edge until a clump would fall. I played with the feed speed and it really didnt change. Yesterday it started doing the opposite, burning pellets falling into the pan and still has smoke in the back. The feed is on 1, temp on 5 1/2, and not putting out heat like it did before. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Last night I shut it down and did a thorough cleaning which I dont believe it needed, but from reading here seems like the right thing to do. I re lit the stove, got it going good, set the stove heat to 5.5, feed to 5 and went to bed. This morning it is single digits and the house is 68 yet I have a 2-3" layer of crusty looking ash. I could not find any other pellets yesterday to try but I will call more places today hoping that is part of the issue. The fault light is not blinking.

Set the feed rate on 4 and leave it. Its not something you want to mess with too much. Click on the Harman link in my sig and absorb that information. It will go a long way in helping you to understand your stove. Find a couple of bags of decent pellets and get rid of the ones that were in the stove when you got it (if you haven't burned them up already). I have had an Invincible RS for 18 years. At one time, it was known as the workhorse of the Harman line. Its a great stove. We should be able to get you running well. Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.