Advice for new log splitter purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireNewbie

Feb 16, 2010
Michigan
Don't know much about log splitters so thought I would come here to ask. What would you recommend?
#1. Huskee 22 ton $1,099 TSC
#2. MTD Yard Machine 25 ton $1,129 Menards
#3. Troy Built 27 ton 1,329 Lowes

All 3 good choices I went with the troy built.

I went with the Huskee 22 ton. They are reguarly on sale for $999. I got mine for $750 by visiting the TS store and finding a returned one that looked brand new - got it with full warranty. I would suggest gving that angle a shot. It has split anything I through at it including a 24" diameter Elm.

I went with the Huskee 22 a couple of years ago, and it has been great! I was able to get 50 bucks knocked off by assembling it myself, as them were out of assembled ones. I never mind giving TC my business and they are always really helpful! Whatever you end up with you will appreciate it!
exploder-

FireNewbie said:
Don't know much about log splitters so thought I would come here to ask. What would you recommend?
#1. Huskee 22 ton $1,099 TSC
#2. MTD Yard Machine 25 ton $1,129 Menards
#3. Troy Built 27 ton 1,329 Lowes

Answer: Any one of the three would work fine for most folks . . . many folks here have had good success with the Huskee 22-ton -- plenty of power and speed for what they need . . . and the MTD/Troy built (made by the same company) are also well liked here with few problems.

I bought the 27-ton MTD . . . for me it came down to the price point (good deal at the local True Value), the fact I was buying local and not having to trailer the splitter very far since these things aren't really set up for pounding the pavement and the splitter came with a few extra goodies (some of which I appreciate like the included splitter "table" to catch the split wood for use in resplitting large pieces and some of which are not all that valuable to me such as as the fenders and trailer lights.)

Well, went to the store and looked at them. My choice is the Troybuilt. Looked it over good and was deciding, when the salesman said he could take off 6%. I said how about 10%. Manager approved and got another 10% off with the coupon. Hitched it up and took it home. Hope I made the right buy, time will tell. Thanks for the suggestions.

I went with the huskee, (speeco).
I liked the cradle beam top. Centers the round, round don't roll off, (sometimes my wife & kids help)
a little more ground clearance for the pump & better working height for my size when using horizontal.
I liked the wedge a little better but sometimes I split frozen wood & it digs in deeper before it pries apart.
I also liked the beam running the full length of the splitter & the ram pinned on the end, not attached by the welded, front hydraulic fitting.

I don't know if any of what I liked will amount to a "hill of beans" but was just my observations & pretty "nit picky"

I liked the hose protection on the MTD & the fenders.

Like you I narrowed it down to those 2.
Either seems well built & i would've be happy with either one, I just chose the speeco (huskee) for a few features that I liked.

We just bought the SpeeCo 3pt hitch splitter at TS. $689. Had to buy pair of 5' hoses as it doesn't come with them. Use it with a Kioti C30 and so far it has split everything we've put on it. Only maybe bad thing is the legs it sets on when you let it down, they're kinda flimsy but time will tell. We did have them rain check a table that SpeeCo makes that mounts to the off side. Off being the side away from the controls. We were up in the air as to whether to go with the 3pt hitch or trailer model and opted for the tractor mounted since it takes up less storage space, was less money and would travel on the tractor in the woods better than a trailer.

I've had a chance to run the Huskee 22 ton for the past few days, and I found it to be a decent machine. It split all of the knotty Oak that I threw at it and I had a productive few days. The only other splitters that I have experience are Timberwolf 20 ton rentals, as well a few others that I've rented, but can't recall the brand names. I found the Huskee to be a reasonably priced product that has the power to get the job done. My neighbor and I are going to buy one the next time they go on sale. The only thing that I didn't care for is splitting large splits in the vertical position. Seems easier to lift them up to the horozontal position and split them off the ground!

Sounds like a good choice should last you many years. The one I have is over 30 years old and the thing still works fine .

Yes, all are good machines. Our MTD 20 ton is about 20 years old and has split many dozens of cords of wood and has been completely trouble free. The 20 ton has enough power to even split knotty elm. Don't pay any attention to cycle time either as most are pretty close and you don't need to cycle fully on each split anyway. Make sure you can stand the splitter vertically so you don't have to lift every piece of wood before splitting it; your back will appreciate it; if not now, then soon. Take the easy route and sit while you split without lifting.

I just finished splitting 3 cords of hard maple with the new splitter. The trunk sections were very knotty but it handled them without a problem. Happy so far!!!

FireNewbie said:
I just finished splitting 3 cords of hard maple with the new splitter. The trunk sections were very knotty but it handled them without a problem. Happy so far!!!

Good job, How many hours do you have on it? It is probably due for its first oil change. You need to change the engine oil after 5 hours run time on any new unfiltered small engine, I'm sure it is in the paperwork somewhere. This will be the most important oil change you make now that everything is seated in the engine. Then once a year or two or every 50-75 hours will be fine . Also now that you have put it through its first workout check and make sure nothing worked its way loose on the rest of the splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.