Advice for New Stove for my Timberframe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Man

Dec 18, 2011
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I have been using a VC Acclaim for supplemental heat in my timber frame for the last 12 years. It needs a major rebuild, and the maintenance guy suggested I consider replacing it. My local shop suggested the PE Alderlea T5, but I'm wondering if a T6 may be more appropriate? Thoughts? I'm open to other brands as well. Our timber frame is 1100 sq ft on the main floor, but it is a story and a half, open above the full length of the house, with two ceiling fans. Is that the equivalent of 2200 sq ft? The area above the stove is 25 feet vertical, with the chimney running straight up. The house is well insulated. We use it a lot when it is cold, and here in Alberta, that is most winter nights. Minus 20 to 30 celcius is not uncommon. My wife is set on a cast iron.

bump to the top.

pen

especially on over 2000 sq ft, bigger!! is better

Thanks for the tips. If I go for a PE, I'll go for the T6. I will now also consider an Oslo. Reading this forum is making me nervous-so many people having issues with their stoves. We have had no issues with the VC Acclaim. I was able to control the fire with no problem, and never even knew that I should have been using a thermometer. I just kept an eye on the fire and listened to what the stove, and chimney was telling me. Because our home is open from end to end at the ceiling I could lay in bed and keep an eye on the fire at the other end of the house by watching the light from the stove reflecting off the ceiling.I am now wondering if the reason for the success with this stove is how you can flip the lever to close off the chimney, forcing the gases to go down into a secondary combustion chamber, If I have that right. Reading the posts of people having trouble controlling their stove because of too much draft may be a problem for me with a straight run of inside chimney inside the house. I could get another VC, but there seem to be issues with getting parts etc. Any thoughts on the ability to close off the chimney or on the wisdom of buying a VC stove these days?

The Oslo works best with LOTS of draft; so I don't think you will have a problem with too much draft. You can install a pipe damper if necessary.

I started with a PE product and switched it out after 1.5 years for the Oslo. IMHO, there is simply no comparison between the stoves. The Oslo will do a good job for you and its hard to beat its good looks and ease of use!

In a large open area it is hard to be too hot with a large stove so yes what ever you buy get the larger stove.

Oslo comes in colors if you want. Nice.
PE has a great secondary baffle system, instead of tubes. Probably the best setup in the industry. Alderlea stoves are jacketed, meaning they have a steel firebox with a cast iron shell. Probably would have bought a T6 if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the BK.
Both solid stoves.
Has the boss seen soapstone? Look at http://www.woodstove.com/wood-stoves and http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves for some beautiful options to cast iron.

Thanks everyone. I'm down to a PE T6 or Jotul, either Oslo or the bigger 600 with the double door. I'd like to buy Canadian (since I'm Canadian), but the Jotul seems a little more time-tested. On another thread some people are struggling with controlling the air on their T5s, and are plugging engineered holes with aluminum foil. Perhaps I'll even consider a Napoleon. I'll keep reading posts, and hopefully make a decision soon. The more I learn, the harder it gets! I'm sure glad I found hearth.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.