Advice for new Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LiftedBlackHD

Jan 12, 2017
CALIFORNIA
Good morning all,

I have been following this forum for a few weeks now, as I do research for a wood insert. I currently have a manufactured fireplace in my living room that I would like to replace with a wood burning insert. Although I'm not opposed to other options. The fireplace I have now is in the upstairs living room of a two story 3800 sq. ft home. The master bedroom, kitchen and dining room are also upstairs. Smaller bedrooms downstairs. The majority of the time is spent upstairs. The upstairs is approximately 1800 sq ft.

I am brain storming ideas and my first thought was to replace the fireplace with an insert. I also thought about possibly placing a wood stove downstairs hoping that it would heat the downstairs and upstairs. Although I'm not sure the heat would make it upstairs. FYI, the house is very well insulated.

The size of the current fireplace in inches is as follows:

Opening height: 30
Width in front: 44
Width in back: 30
Depth: 22.5
Depth of hearth: 16

I went to the local wood stove store and wasn't satisfied with their selection. Based on the information given do you have any advice or recommendations of what insert I could use?

Forgot to add that the fireplace is plumed for gas.

Thank You

The vent/chimney type and size for your manufactured fireplace may not be compatible with a wood stove or wood burning fireplace insert. You will need to verify this before you make a purchase or before connecting a wood burning device. You will need to find out who manufactured your vent/chimney so that you can use fittings from the same company. I think free standing wood stoves are better at producing heat than inserts.

I am brain storming ideas and my first thought was to replace the fireplace with an insert.
You cannot replace a fireplace with an insert. An insert goes in a fireplace and most manufacturered fireplaces do not allow an insert to be put in them. You can replace a fireplace with a stove given the proper clearances or a zeroclearance epa approved fireplace. Usually a stove or epa fireplace will also require a new chimney.