Advice for removing support box from finished ceiling.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mslaboy

Apr 23, 2016
Minneapolis
I am removing a wood stove and putting in a gas fireplace. There is a black support box that goes up through a cathedral ceiling. No attic access. I would like to remove the box and enough chimney so that I can seal it and patch and finish the ceiling. Does anyone have any advice? IMG_4882.JPG IMG_4883.JPG

Do you plan to remove the whole topside chimney too? The ceiling support box was installed from above. Screws were threaded through the sides of the box into rafters. It holds the chimney to the top cap. All or nothing.

Consider capping it and painting it white with high temp paint.

Do you plan to remove the whole topside chimney too? The ceiling support box was installed from above. Screws were threaded through the sides of the box into rafters. It holds the chimney to the top cap. All or nothing.

I want to do it right, so I guess so. Could I remove everything from the top side, but then put the cap back on and seal it somehow? How do you suggest I go about removing the box? Would it be nailed from the inside into joists?

It would most likely take removing the chase and chimney on the roof, then removing the flashing to get at the support box. After removal a plywood patch would need to be nailed in flush with the roof decking and then new shingles woven in to cover the patch.

Reactions: Highbeam
It would most likely take removing the chase and chimney on the roof, then removing the flashing to get at the support box. After removal a plywood patch would need to be nailed in flush with the roof decking and then new shingles woven in to cover the patch.

Would there be ANY WAY to do this without removing the chase - just what's inside of it? I'm fine tearing up my ceiling - there will already be a hole to patch, but tearing up the roof takes it to an entirely different level.

The chimney is supported by what you see protruding into the room. Removing the support means removing the chimney pipe, leaving a hole in the roof.

Will the gas fireplace need a vent?

You can most likely pull that chimney out from the top. I'd sure give it a try! We do it on a regular basis on single story homes. Then the box can be demolished in any means necessary. Not a big deal really. There is absolutely no need to tear the chase off of the roof. Worst case senerio is that the chase cover would need pulled off temporarily.

It looks like you have dura-vent pipe with an excel cap and storm collar. It's hard to tell on the pic. Kinda odd...

Last edited:
The chimney is supported by what you see protruding into the room. Removing the support means removing the chimney pipe, leaving a hole in the roof.

Will the gas fireplace need a vent?

Yes, but it's on an exterior wall, so we are going to go straight out behind.

I agree with webby try just pulling the chimney out the top. If it does not move pull the chase cover and see what is holding it. You may need to climb down into the chase to remove support brackets. Then cut the bottom off of the support box to get access to the screws holding it. Have a new chase cover made without a hole and patch the drywall.

Reactions: webby3650
I agree with webby try just pulling the chimney out the top. If it does not move pull the chase cover and see what is holding it. You may need to climb down into the chase to remove support brackets. Then cut the bottom off of the support box to get access to the screws holding it. Have a new chase cover made without a hole and patch the drywall.

Yes. Then one day you could put it all back together. You'll just have this coffin looking thing on your roof.

If were mine and I had shingles to match, I would take the hardest route. Remove everything just like the chase and support were never there. That's just me. Lot's of opinions.

I think you can call professionals and can discuss this issue with them. They have more appropriate advice for you. There are many chimney expert in long island, you can get help from there.

If you haven't discovered yet, many of the posters in this thread and on this forum are professionals and even chimney professionals with superior qualifications and experience. These professionals are so obsessed with their profession that they are willing to come on to this forum in their spare time and give advice. Helpful and knowledgeable.

My experience with local, out of the phone book type, professionals is the opposite. Unhelpful, expensive, hacks. At the very least, the original poster of this thread will have the benefit of hiring one of them with an educated opinion of what he wants done.

Reactions: Ash and webby3650
If you haven't discovered yet, many of the posters in this thread and on this forum are professionals and even chimney professionals with superior qualifications and experience. These professionals are so obsessed with their profession that they are willing to come on to this forum in their spare time and give advice. Helpful and knowledgeable.

My experience with local, out of the phone book type, professionals is the opposite. Unhelpful, expensive, hacks. At the very least, the original poster of this thread will have the benefit of hiring one of them with an educated opinion of what he wants done.
Thank you!
When I post I'm often in a fireplace or on someone's roof.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Methinks that was a spam troll. There are industry experts here that have provided a lot of great advice. It's much appreciated.

Methinks that was a spam troll. There are industry experts here that have provided a lot of great advice. It's much appreciated.

I think you're right. Op from Minneapolis, troll recommends N.Y. sweep link.

Status
Not open for further replies.