Advice for SMALL fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

man6ano

Dec 5, 2007
OH
I just bought an older house with a small fireplace. The opening is 24" wide by 26" high. I had an inspector come out ane even though he couldn't get on the roof today told me it has a good liner and should be OK to use after a sweep. Due to clearance issues he said I probably could not use an insert. I'm thinking doors, but can't seem to find any this small. I'd appreciate any recommendations. I would like to burn wood, but want to get SOME heat out of it if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Howdy. How large a house is this? How big is the room this fireplace is in? Would you consider extending the hearth and putting a small stove in the fireplace opening? If you want an insert, I'd look at the Country Striker 160, or the PE Vista insert for starters.

I was told I cannot use an insert due to clearance issues. This is a 2 story about 1500 sq. ft. the room is about 20x15? The fireplace is in a corner of the room about a foot away from one wall. It IS pretty small, so I don't think a stove could even fit. It is about a 2 foot cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.