1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

advice for smashed thumbnail.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pict, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pict

pict Member

Loc:
    oklahoma
    Gathering wood from the roadside, I slipped and fell, smashing my thumbnail between a huge section of hardwood trunk, and a heavy section in my hand.
    It's now dark blue, as was the air at the moment of impact on my thumbnail.

Anyone have any advice? It's throbbing like I wouldn't like to describe in a family chat room, and I know it's going to be dropping off for sure.
    should I poke a tiny hole in the nail as I've been advised, or are there any other things I ought to be doing?

Thanks in advance.

P.S., I think I scared a brace of Mormons, who were cycling past at the time, as their speed increased dramatically after the first salvo of Gaelic swear words.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dsil

dsil New Member

Loc:
    western maine
    Smash the other one so they match :ahhh:
  3. moterhead3

moterhead3 New Member

Loc:
    Bethel Twp PA
    Use a pin vice with a small drill bit. Works for me.
  4. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    A hot needle or a tiny drill. You can do the drill by twisting with your good hand.
    A few glasses of brown water makes the job easier ;)
  5. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Member

Loc:
    CT
    A quick trip to ER and they'll cortorize(sp) it. A tiny needle shot through the nail. Yes I wimped out and had it done and an x-ray to show I broke the tip of my thumb. I guess a 3 lbs. hammer and your thumb doesn't mix. Good luck
  6. Lignums

Lignums New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati

Get a newer brad point drill bit and drill out a hole. Sounds crazy, but when it cuts through the nail, and all that pressure is relieved, you will do it every time. Your flesh under the smashed part really shouldn't have any real feeling left, you will know you are through the nail by seeing the blood leak out, not feel it 'drill' through.

Attached Files:

7. JimWalshin845

JimWalshin845 New Member

Loc:
    S. Jersey
    Years back while I was lowering the storm windows one sash came loose and got me across all 4 nails.. actually shot me across the room. When I finnaly cried enough and headed to the ER the procedure was simple. They took a blunt-nosed scissor and heated it red hot... it looked real scary and I was at my wits end. They just touched the middle of the nail and when the blood released the heat wasn't even noticed. I had this done to 4 fingers and when I went home I slept like a baby.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Like Jim, I too went to a doctor (foolishly, but I was a kid at the time too). The back of the nail swelled so much that the nail set at a 45 degree angle! Doc simply touched the skin behind the nail with a knife. Blood shot like high water pressure. Pain disappeared. All went well.

I was also advised to have someone hit my big toe with a maul to make me forget my poor finger. No thank you on that one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.