advice for smashed thumbnail.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
Gathering wood from the roadside, I slipped and fell, smashing my thumbnail between a huge section of hardwood trunk, and a heavy section in my hand.
It's now dark blue, as was the air at the moment of impact on my thumbnail.

Anyone have any advice? It's throbbing like I wouldn't like to describe in a family chat room, and I know it's going to be dropping off for sure.
should I poke a tiny hole in the nail as I've been advised, or are there any other things I ought to be doing?

Thanks in advance.

P.S., I think I scared a brace of Mormons, who were cycling past at the time, as their speed increased dramatically after the first salvo of Gaelic swear words.

Use a pin vice with a small drill bit. Works for me.

A hot needle or a tiny drill. You can do the drill by twisting with your good hand.
A few glasses of brown water makes the job easier ;)

A quick trip to ER and they'll cortorize(sp) it. A tiny needle shot through the nail. Yes I wimped out and had it done and an x-ray to show I broke the tip of my thumb. I guess a 3 lbs. hammer and your thumb doesn't mix. Good luck

moterhead3 said:
Use a pin vice with a small drill bit. Works for me.

Get a newer brad point drill bit and drill out a hole. Sounds crazy, but when it cuts through the nail, and all that pressure is relieved, you will do it every time. Your flesh under the smashed part really shouldn't have any real feeling left, you will know you are through the nail by seeing the blood leak out, not feel it 'drill' through.

Attachments

• endgrain.jpg
    endgrain.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 230
Years back while I was lowering the storm windows one sash came loose and got me across all 4 nails.. actually shot me across the room. When I finnaly cried enough and headed to the ER the procedure was simple. They took a blunt-nosed scissor and heated it red hot... it looked real scary and I was at my wits end. They just touched the middle of the nail and when the blood released the heat wasn't even noticed. I had this done to 4 fingers and when I went home I slept like a baby.

Like Jim, I too went to a doctor (foolishly, but I was a kid at the time too). The back of the nail swelled so much that the nail set at a 45 degree angle! Doc simply touched the skin behind the nail with a knife. Blood shot like high water pressure. Pain disappeared. All went well.

I was also advised to have someone hit my big toe with a maul to make me forget my poor finger. No thank you on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.