Advice for sweeping chimney before installing flex liner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
My masonry flue is about 8.5 by 9.5 inches and has no clay liner. I know it needs cleaning before I install my flexible liner, so I bought an 8 x 8 steel brush. I was planning to use flexible poles to clean the lower part where it's not straight then do the rest using a ropes.

But then I was reading the package for the brush and it was saying how important it is that the brush be the right size to exert adequate force. I don't think anyone makes a brush to fit an odd size like mine. Any suggestions or advice before I proceed. What would a pro chimney sweep do?

I'd go for a 10" round, then cut it down to your new liner size when it's in.

dreezon said:
My masonry flue is about 8.5 by 9.5 inches and has no clay liner. I know it needs cleaning before I install my flexible liner, so I bought an 8 x 8 steel brush. I was planning to use flexible poles to clean the lower part where it's not straight then do the rest using a ropes.

But then I was reading the package for the brush and it was saying how important it is that the brush be the right size to exert adequate force. I don't think anyone makes a brush to fit an odd size like mine. Any suggestions or advice before I proceed. What would a pro chimney sweep do?

I bought a 8x12 for a 7x11 chimney and cut the brush to size. I didnt bother with the poles, just tied the brush to a rope and hung 30lbs of weights to the bottom and dropped it up and down the chimney. worked great....too bad ill never use that chimney brush again since my liner is 6" round.

heres some before and after pics of the chimney and also the rig i used.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42349/

BucksCoBernie said:
dreezon said:

I bought a 8x12 for a 7x11 chimney and cut the brush to size. I didnt bother with the poles, just tied the brush to a rope and hung 30lbs of weights to the bottom and dropped it up and down the chimney. worked great....too bad ill never use that chimney brush again since my liner is 6" round.

heres some before and after pics of the chimney and also the rig i used.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42349/

That is sweet!!! Thats easier than I imagined and would have no prob sweeping my chimney liner each with a brush, rope, and some old bench weights, or a few of my lead dive weights!!

Status
Not open for further replies.