Advice from someone WETT (Canada) certified please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck_22

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, presently in the middle of my install, I will only use 1/2 the thimble as I am making a 6 inch hole through my 10 inch foundation and only use a round flange on the outside. The thimble on the inside wall will be tight against the concrete and fastened to the finished wall. As my pipe is 4 9/16 OD I will have a gap all around the pipe in the concrete portion and I see that getting awfully cold, can I put some insulation from the outside before putting the flange and caulking on top?

Hi all, presently in the middle of my install, I will only use 1/2 the thimble as I am making a 6 inch hole through my 10 inch foundation and only use a round flange on the outside. The thimble on the inside wall will be tight against the concrete and fastened to the finished wall. As my pipe is 4 9/16 OD I will have a gap all around the pipe in the concrete portion and I see that getting awfully cold, can I put some insulation from the outside before putting the flange and caulking on top?
Did you ever get that drill to work?.... Can you post pic's?

Did you ever get that drill to work?.... Can you post pic's?
Hole is not made yet, as only 9 inches of my foundation is showing above ground on that side of the house I decided to go with a Hilti rental drill and not that massive beast. I also decided to make my hole higher as the trap of the tee would be way too low for times when I need to do my cleaning, or snow and ice could also be problematic etc. Having change my plans a bit now my pipe in the house is not long enough, going to have to get a 12 inch section.

I agree. Did you use an ice auger to get a 6 inch hole thru solid concrete? Obviously, you drilled in between the the steel rebars. Need to see pics! I would think you would want to fill the gap with a mortar mix and then some kind of sealant on the outside.

Hole is not made yet,

I was thinking about "your" hole last week. are you still planning an eight inch hole through ten inches of concrete? I am very curious about this as I have drilled concrete in the past....Have you?

Did you use an ice auger to get a 6 inch hole thru solid concrete?
are you trying to be funny? Humans don't live long enough to drill a ten inch deep hole in concrete with an Ice auger...

EDIT NO FLAME intended:ZZZ

I see you have down sized your hole from 8" to 6"...That move will be much easier ...still beyond what a "lay person" will be successful at ...IMHO.... Although I'm not "wett" certified , I'm not wet behind the ears. I would use a fiberglass insulation around the pipe where it goes through and calk outside to stop infiltration (fiberglass is useless if cold air infiltrates) As for your venting , adding a 12" piece will add a joint...not a good thing. Replace one of your inside pipes with one 1 foot longer and eliminate a potential problem spot (un-necessary joint) IA general "rule of thumb " I live by Joints are bad....unless you can smoke them...

Not WETT, but why can't you put Roxul between the thimble and the concrete hole? That's what thimbles usually have surrounding them, no? And, on the outer flange, can't you use the orange foam, the heat/flame rated one to make a airtight seal?

Do you have a hole yet?

Make sure you have clearance for combustibles. Might need a heat shield on the inside to be extra safe. Pics would be beneficial so we know exactly what your doing, just saying but we love pics.

Make sure you have clearance for combustibles. Might need a heat shield on the inside to be extra safe. Pics would be beneficial so we know exactly what your doing, just saying but we love pics.
Forum rules...."no pic's= it didn't happen"

Used the approved thimble, if it's good enough for a wall got to be good enough for a joist, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.