1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Advice Needed - Dolmar PS-540

Post in 'The Gear' started by deerefanatic, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deerefanatic

deerefanatic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ladysmith, WI
    HI all, Right now all we have for a chainsaw is a Poulan 14" Electric saw. Nice little saw, dont give me wrong, but pretty slow. I was looking at saws and knew that a Stihl or Husky would be my best choice, but the price on Husky's are out of this world and Stihl unfortunately has a dismal track record of not holding on to parts inventory very long...... Then I came across some Dolmar's at the local ACE Hardware.. It immediately piqued my interest being a German product (I LOOOOVVEE German stuff, that's why I own an old Mercedes!) and looked like a good quality saw. Internet searching, both here and on Google turns up that they're a really good value for a saw.... I found this one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dolmar-PS-540-Chainsaw-w-18-inch-bar-54cc-motor_W0QQitemZ400001167109QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item400001167109&_trkparms=72:1205|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 It seems like a steal, should I jump it or beware or is it just not that great of a deal.....

Thanks for any help!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    The 540 is a decent saw but beware of buying on ebay as a lot of damaged saws that look okay are sold. I'd ask the owner for a compression test and carefully check his feedback.

Also be aware that the 540 while a decent saw is a fair step down from the Dolmar PS5100. Also keep an eye o your local Craigslist, that way you can at least look before you buy.
  3. deerefanatic

deerefanatic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ladysmith, WI
    Hi, thanks for the update. I will check with the seller and see what he has to say about this saw as far as runablilty......

As for the saw itself, while I'm sure it's a step down from the PS5100, I'm sure it's many times better than the run of the mill Poulan or cheap Stihl..... Which is really what's in my budget right now. :)
  4. rx7145

rx7145 New Member

Loc:
    Ashland Ohio 44805
    Cheap Stihl...LOL
  5. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    The three digit Dolmar model numbers are their "homeowner" grade models, the four digit numbers are the Pro saws. That said, a Dolmar homeowner grade will probably still be a good step above a "big box" grade Poulan or cheap line Husky / Stihl - think midline saw.

I haven't seen as many comments on the PS 540 as I have on the 5100 (which is considered a great saw by all accounts), but the ones I've seen have been positive...

I would second the previous cautions on E-bay saws, and add that lately there seem to be few bargains there. I would check online prices for a new Dolmar, or if you want used, check your local saw shops for trade-ins and used saws... The pro's upgrade pretty regularly and their trades can get you a reasonable condition pro-saw w/ lots of life left in it for a homeowner saw price.

Gooserider
  6. day52

day52 New Member

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    Good solid saw--usually. But people even abuse Mercedes. I think I would want to see it.
  7. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    They're decent saws, but for that price I'd sooner buy new. They really require some work to get them up to their potential (muffler as a minimum, cylinder porting preferably), as they seem a bit choked-down in stock form.

You can still get the same saw in blue (Makita) from time to time, or the 510 (or 5100s, if you want to go crazy) for $300-350. Definitely the better choice, short-term and long-term. Dollar for dollar, a new 510 would probably be your best bet.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Again lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.