Advice Needed - EKO 40 Water Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMX_512

Nov 17, 2008
Louisville, KY
I am about ready to pull the trigger on an EKO 40 (from Cozy Heat) and am needing some advice on water storage.
I would like to do this right the 1st time. So storage is needed in order to get the best efficiency

2400 sq ft (1200 basement and 1200 1st floor)on 1 forced air HX
900 sq ft on second forced air HX located on 2nd floor
Lots of double pane casement windows on 1st floor
DHW
Approx 40kBTU - 50kBTU load as done from calculator on Alternative eating System's site
http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/btucalculatorheatlosscalculator.htm

As I understand it from other posts, Pressurized Storage greatly reduces the potential oxidization issues. However, my space limits me to a 500gal propane tank(which i should be able to pick up for $100.00 - $150.00). After doing the calculations, in the EKO manual, I see that this is about the minimum starting point for storage.

I have seen that some of you guys are "stacking" 500gal tanks. I am not sure if that will work for me. I will have to figure out how much clearance is needed between the tanks. I have about 8' to the bottom of the floor joists.

This brings me to un-pressurized vessels / systems.
What precautions need to be taken to stave off corrosion?
Has anyone done a plastic tanks such as these?
http://www.kentuckytank.com/index.html
I have not called them yet(as it is Sunday) and asked about the ability to hold water at 180+ degF or the price. I know that STSS tanks are pricey on Cozy Heat's site Perhaps this is why I have never come across this method in my search of the forum.
There is something that scares me about building a box in the basement and filling it up with 1000 gal of water, although i might have to get over this fear because I see that several folks have done just that. I am just trying to get some other ideas for "store bought" tanks.

Unless the plastic tanks are spec'd for the temps of storage, stay away from them. Regular plastic tanks are good to about 120 and may start to melt soon after that. There is a high temp plastic made, but the last I looked it was very expensive.

I thought that might be the case or else I would have read about others using them.
Never hurts to ask though. I am still going to call up KY Tanks and them what their temp ratings are.

Thanks

I have two 500 gallon tanks stacked in my basement which has 8' clear to the joists. I don't have a ton of room but there is plenty for the necessary plumbing into and out of the tanks. No problems here and I'm sure I'm not the only with this setup...

Stee6043,

It sounds as though you have a set-up that I might need / want.
Did you get your tanks used? If so what did you do about getting the smelly chemical (mercaptan??) out?

Do you have any pics of your tank setup??

I am getting sooooo close now.

Thanks

I have more photos than you can shake a stick at. I'll grab some for you this evening.

I bought my tanks new for the very reason you mentioned - the chemicals found in used tanks. Many people have successfully cleaned and used old tanks but I didn't want to mess with it and I don't have the equipment to cut and weld on propane tanks.

did you ever get your water storage setup in place? i'm buying an eko .
40 and will tackle the same thing. thanks for any info or pictures you can provide.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.