1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Advice needed for my Jotul Castine

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by serviced, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serviced

serviced New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Can any Castine owner tell me how they clean their chimney pipe on their stove. I have a straight run about 20' pipe. I burn approx 10 cords each of the last two years. I never see any creosote after a sweep. I was wondering if one of the baffles inside the stove need to be removed while sweeping? Im suspecting that its just sitting there waiting for a chimney fire. thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. deedub

deedub Member

Loc:
    beside sleeping hibbomock
    i'll let you know after my first year with the castine. what kind of burn times are you getting ?
  3. corpseal

corpseal Member

Loc:
    southern New Mexico
    Okay Serviced. Here is what I did when we received our Castine about 6 years ago. As per the European specs in the literature, I permanently removed the two nuts holding the top cover in place (used a 1/4" rachet, and you will have to contort your hand). This is required in Europe so that the stove can be cleaned easily. Works great. Just run a brush thru your stovepipe from the top. Then lift off the top cover and vacuum the ash with a shop vac (when all is cold of course). Then set the top cover back in place- you will not get any smoke from it, and it does not need to be held in place with the 2 nuts. Good luck.
  4. chad3

chad3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Agreed although with the Oslo. I kept the threads in, but loose so that they could be spun out (or better twisted out). The weight will keep it closed. Suck out what you can and you are good from there.
    Chad
  5. dvellone

dvellone Feeling the Heat

I wasn't sure I was understanding correctly when I read about removing the nuts securing the top plate after I installed my new castine this past summer. My dealer confirmed that I was reading it right.

I guess then that the weight of the top plate is enough to provide an airtight seal, right? I was a bit hesitant to take all the torque off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.