Advice needed for my Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serviced

Jan 5, 2008
Long Island NY
Can any Castine owner tell me how they clean their chimney pipe on their stove. I have a straight run about 20' pipe. I burn approx 10 cords each of the last two years. I never see any creosote after a sweep. I was wondering if one of the baffles inside the stove need to be removed while sweeping? Im suspecting that its just sitting there waiting for a chimney fire. thanks.

Okay Serviced. Here is what I did when we received our Castine about 6 years ago. As per the European specs in the literature, I permanently removed the two nuts holding the top cover in place (used a 1/4" rachet, and you will have to contort your hand). This is required in Europe so that the stove can be cleaned easily. Works great. Just run a brush thru your stovepipe from the top. Then lift off the top cover and vacuum the ash with a shop vac (when all is cold of course). Then set the top cover back in place- you will not get any smoke from it, and it does not need to be held in place with the 2 nuts. Good luck.

Agreed although with the Oslo. I kept the threads in, but loose so that they could be spun out (or better twisted out). The weight will keep it closed. Suck out what you can and you are good from there.
Chad

corpseal said:
Okay Serviced. Here is what I did when we received our Castine about 6 years ago. As per the European specs in the literature, I permanently removed the two nuts holding the top cover in place (used a 1/4" rachet, and you will have to contort your hand). This is required in Europe so that the stove can be cleaned easily. Works great. Just run a brush thru your stovepipe from the top. Then lift off the top cover and vacuum the ash with a shop vac (when all is cold of course). Then set the top cover back in place- you will not get any smoke from it, and it does not need to be held in place with the 2 nuts. Good luck.

I wasn't sure I was understanding correctly when I read about removing the nuts securing the top plate after I installed my new castine this past summer. My dealer confirmed that I was reading it right.

I guess then that the weight of the top plate is enough to provide an airtight seal, right? I was a bit hesitant to take all the torque off.

Status
Not open for further replies.