Advice needed from real-world users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
twigg, your eyes want a cast iron stove but at heart you're willing to go with a steel stove. The PE Alderlea series combines both together in one stove. I would try to see an Alderlea and judge for yourself. If you want the best of both worlds, it's a good place to start. (No PE doesn't pay me. Wish they did :)).

The T5 is about $2000. Not far short of the Oakwood, in it's asic form. Looks like a nice Stove, but I don't see any real advantage over the Englander.

If we were to go for the Alderlea, we may as well spring the extra $300 for the Oakwood, which leaves us back where we started :)

The suggestions are great tho. So thanks.

I'm looking at the Alderlea again.

It looks nice, and I like the swing out top. We would save a good deal on the hearth requirement too, and that would offset the higher price.

Need to do some reading.

If you think the Englander will satisfy your needs now and for the next 5-10 years, go for it. They are good solid stoves and will save you a lot of dough. But if you think that in a year or two there'll be a hankering for something in cast iron, then get the Alderlea or one of the other cast iron stoves mentioned earlier and be happy.

Regardless of stove brand, I'd look into 3 cu ft stoves if the intent is to heat a large area (like the whole house) 24/7. We're heating a 2000 sq ft old farmhouse in a milder climate with a 3 cu ft T6 and it isn't too big. With an open floorplan, the core of the house rarely gets over 74.

I was attracted by the very modest hearth requirement of the Alderlea, plus the swing-out top. OTOH, the firebox is under 2cuft.

We are probably going to swallow on building a 1.5R hearth (it's not that hard) and go with the Englander.

Just for info .... I emailed Englander and asked about the possibility of a bottom shield to reduce the hearth requirement. The reply was a not surprising *no chance*. The speed of the reply was very encouraging :)

The Englander should serve you well. Have you settled on the 30NC?

For the record, the T5 is 2 cu ft. The T6 is 3 cu ft. FWIW, I'd go with the T6 if going with the PE. The cast iron jacket softens the heat. This is not a highly radiant stove except from the front. The mass of cast iron does soften the heat and releases it slowly into the room.

We are pretty much settled on the NC30, yes.

We saw a T6 today .... it's enormous, and we liked it a lot. We also saw a Quadrafire Isle Royale ..... looked awesome too.

But ..... it's off to Home Depot for metal studs and Durock.

NC-30 is the way to go ,big quality firebox, modern handy features and at a good price

Status
Not open for further replies.