Advice needed on boiler and storage layout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrod770

Oct 22, 2013
granville, ohio
I attempted to make a "blueprint" of our current home and garage layout. I am going to add on a 8' x 48' addition to the back of the garage to house the boiler and wood storage. Currently using propane forced air heat, so I wil be placing a heat exchanger above the furnace. I cannot decide if I want to use propane tanks in the garage for pressurized storage or if I want unpressurized storage in the basement. Basement is all below grade, no walkout=no getting propane tanks into basement. Installation cost is not an issue, I am a plumber and we own our own family business. I can see the benfits of unpressurized, no expansion tanks, heat loss of tank will heat house, and just seems like an easier set up. Am i missing something? Please chime in about layout and benefits of either storage set up. Thanks, jerid

Attachments

• boilerlayout.jpg
    boilerlayout.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 179
I basically have that setup. Boiler in another building 50 feet of underground to the house and 50 feet across the house to 820 gals of pressurized storage in the basement. works well for me. I'm no expert BTW.

Thanks for the response Flyingcow. Wouldd you guys forgo propane pressurized storage if you were unable to get it into your basement, and instead, go with an unpressurized tank in basement?

If you can source an inexpensive pressure tank, I'd probably go that route and locate it in the garage by the boiler. I've been contemplating both, and am coming up with the personal consensus that pressurized is probably more economical and makes more sense (if you can get a propane/pressure tank inexpensively <$1/gallon). The complications with open storage are the longevity of the liner material, and cost/design/controllability of the heat exchange system. I think, in the long run, most would agree you're probably better off with a pressurized system.

I would look for some water-heater size storage tanks and put them in the basement. Even if the storage tanks are foamed as are mine they still give off heat. I have boiler and storage in boiler room attached to barn much like you discribe. Don't need heat there, but you need it in house. i have pressurized storage and love it. I would also check with your insurance company as they are very fussy, where boiler is and if room is attached or not. I found out two yrs. after the install that they would not insure me any more because of wood boiler being in room attached to barn. Foamit UP

If you can source an inexpensive pressure tank, I'd probably go that route and locate it in the garage by the boiler. I've been contemplating both, and am coming up with the personal consensus that pressurized is probably more economical and makes more sense (if you can get a propane/pressure tank inexpensively <$1/gallon). The complications with open storage are the longevity of the liner material, and cost/design/controllability of the heat exchange system. I think, in the long run, most would agree you're probably better off with a pressurized system.

I already have 1 500 gallon tank sitting and ready to go, However, I think I may need 500 gallons more. I was just trying to overthink this setup way too much. The open storage method justs sounds much easier for piping and lacks the need for expensive expansion tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.