Advice Needed on Wall Thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drb0587

Jul 12, 2011
NJ, USA
Hi All,

This is my first post so here goes...I currently have an old Garrison woodstove on the first floor of my home. The stove passes through the wall to an exterior chimney. A stainless steel liner was installed in to the chimney 2 yrs ago when we moved in.

We have been doing some burning this past winter and have been happy with the heat the stove puts out, however the Garrison is not very easy on the eyes nor likely very efficient. The new stove we are seriously considering is the Hearthstone Heritage.

Based on my research and reading, I am concerned the existing wall thimble is a fire hazard. It appears that it is a clay thimble mortared in place. The stovepipe from the Garrison is connected to a stainless steel tee coming from the liner into the thimble and some stove gasket material has been packed in to fill in the gap between the pipe and the clay thimble. I do not think my brick hearth goes all the way through to the outside wall. I tested this but drilling a small hole in the brick mortar about 6 inches above the thimble to determine what was behind the brick. After going through the brick hearth, I hit....wall insulation. I believe this is way too close to the hot stove pipe for comfort and should probably assume there are other combustibles too close as well....at this point what is the best way to proceed?

Would chiseling out the brick and removing the existing thimble be an option? I would then replace this with something like the Heat-Fab Saf-T Wall Thimble. Has anyone done anything similar and have pictures they can share? I'm also considering completing ripping out the existing hearth and changing up the look but this may be a bit more involved than I'd like to take on right now.

Thanks for any advice you can share!
IMG_4179.JPGIMG_4177.JPGIMG_4178.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.