Advice Needed: Our First Home Has a Zero Clearance Fireplace - Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thechimneysweep said:
4) When you install the insert, install a stainless liner to the top of the chimney, because even code-approved double or triple wall ZC chimney doesn't meet the HT standard (that's what the quote from PE's manual above is all about).
The ICC Excel chimney I think does.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/Insulated_Stainless_Steel_Chimney
EXCEL is tested and listed to the ULC S-629 chimney standard. The ULC standard is generally considered the toughest residential chimney standard in the world. The USA standard requires the chimney to withstand three 10-minute 2100°F chimney fires. The Canadian standard requires the chimney to withstand three 30-minute chimney fires, three times longer than the USA.

After my father's house burned down from a chimney fire in his Selkirk flue, I not only went with the higher rated ICC but I also used no wood in the chase and lined it with a radiation shield.

Pagey said:
I think the confusion lies within your first post: from reading, it sounds as though you already have an old 80s model wood burning insert in the ZC fireplace. Is that the case? Are you removing this 80s model insert and getting a new one? Or are you saying "insert" meaning "fireplace"?

So sorry for any confusion here.

There is now an 80s model insert installed into the fireplace. It will be sold or disposed of. Then, I'm hoping to purchase a new high efficiency approved wood burning insert.

CJRages said:
Should I insulate the ss liner? I would feel more comfortable doing this. And for a couple hundred bucks the peace of mind would be well worth it. Any thoughts?
If you think it will satisfy your insurance company to just put in a liner I would use an insulated liner. The insulation will act as a standoff, keep the flue warmer and keep the chase cooler.

thechimneysweep said:
The current set-up is vented by a single 8 inch pipe which does not meet code requirements. Apparently the remedy here is a 1777 approved stainless steel liner.

No.

Refer to step 2) in my post above.

That is an excellent post chimneysweep. I didn't read it correctly the first time... I have not double checked the system yet. Until then I'll be stuck in a holding pattern. It's great to know that one way or the other I'll have an answer though.

Thank you all for your insights! I've learned so much already.

Well....

As it turns out, the ZC fireplace is a Majestic. Not sure the model. There was a five digit number etched into the small metal plate attached in the upper right side of the metal box. Is that possibly the model number? Anyway I wrote all this down, but forgot to bring the paper back with us from the house. We are moving in this weekend and doing some final remodeling etc.

I'll continue to do some research on Majestic fireplaces and let you all know the results of what I find.

Are there any ZC fireplaces that use single wall pipe? I thought all ZC's had either double wall or triple wall air cooled or wool and air cooled chimneys?

polaris said:
Are there any ZC fireplaces that use single wall pipe? I thought all ZC's had either double wall or triple wall air cooled or wool and air cooled chimneys?

polaris,

I'm beginning to think that it is unlikely that this ZC fireplace has only a single wall pipe for venting purposes. I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that I didn't communicate clearly enough with the chimney/fireplace inspector when we were discussing the situaiton. I didn't know exactly what he was talking half the time. Clearly I had not have any experience with zero clearance fireplace set-ups and was unfimiliar with the language the inspector was using. :zip:

Confirmation will happen as soon as I'm able to get up on the roof again and pop the cover off the chase.

A seperate note:
A couple of the Majestic ZC insert manuals at www.majesticproducts.com state: "Do not install a solid fuel burning insert or other products not specified for use with this fireplace."

My current burning question is: Does this eliminate ALL wood burning inserts or simply those that "are not specified for use with this product" - such as non-zero clearance rated wood burning inserts?

I'm afraid I know the answer.

Yes, there is a bit of confusion there. I don't think any ZC manufactures(for liability reasons) state that they approve an insert or stove for use in their product. I think this is primarily due to the need to upgrade the chimney from 1700 to 2100. The stove manufactures feel it is safe as long as the 8" air cooled chimney is relined with a 6" liner. If the ZC manufacturers said it was OK then as you can imagine people would just shove an insert in there without the proper chimney upgrades, have a problem and claim they were not forewarned by the manufacturer. The ZC manufacturers don't test their units with either a stove or insert so they can't/won't vouch for them. It certainly does not mean that it can't be done safely and relatively inexpensively you just have to have a grasp of the two systems and how to make them work in conjunction with one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.