Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berrley

Oct 20, 2011
Middle TN
Hello all. I am no expert when it comes to wood stoves, so I need some advice. I am remodeling a room in our house that has an existing free-standing Earth Stove wood burner. We do not have the money to upgrade the stove, so I want to make sure that the one we do have is installed properly. Attached are pictures of the current setup (I removed some of the pipe for the remodel). The current platform is laminate, so we clearly know that we are replacing that with something noncombustible. We would like to leave the walls unprotected if possible. According to our interpretation of the label, we have proper clearance. From the middle of the sides of the stove to the wall, we have 24"; from the back corners of the stove to the wall, we have 12"; and from the middle of the stove pipe to the corner of the room, we have 36". The pipe has a 45-degree elbow with no damper. We are considering installing a section of pipe with a damper. There is triple-wall pipe going through the ceiling. Are there any other considerations or recommendations regarding the pipe? Or any other thoughts jor tips? Thank you very much.

Attachments

• IMG_20121231_094905.jpg
    IMG_20121231_094905.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20121231_094724.jpg
    IMG_20121231_094724.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 204
As long as you meet those listings on the stove you should be safe. It does seem like you have met those requirements. Remember those are minimums, if you give yourself an extra couple inches it wouldn't hurt. And as you mentioned make sure you get proper floor protection, also according to that tag on the stove.

Hello Berrley,

Two things to think of, make sure you follow the local building codes! For one reason, God forbid you burn your house down, your insurance company cannot deny your claim, every state and town is different. And next, be sure you have it inspected after work is done by fire marshall or someone certified to do so, this may save you a huge amount of grief later.

Berrley. Am I correct in thinking that stove has been working in that spot for some time? It should be fine. Your code more may be 18" from flammable surface. Drywall isn't flammable. Your drywall, I would think, 1/2". It has a value as far as being fire resistant. In garages 3/4'' drywall is required for it's resistant value to open flame for a given amount of time.
If you have 18" from the outside of the single wall stovepipe to a flammable surface you are good according to most code.

I think you have nothing to worry about. Have a great day, no, have a great winter.

Berrley, My apologies, I was under the assumption you were or had moved the stove.
I agree with the above, you should be fine. sorry for my confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.