Advice on 1989 Resolute Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burn Time

Nov 30, 2015
Wisconsin
Please let me know what maintenance I should be doing on a little-used Resolute Acclaim.

Back in '89 I bought a Resolute Acclaim and installed it in a 24 x 24 room in a farm accessory building. The room also has a ceiling mounted NG heater, so the stove doesn't get much use. I love to run it though because it's so efficient.

I just purchased a replacement gasket kit because the gasket around the griddle came loose and seemed ready to disintegrate. Other than gasket replacements, what else should I inspect for?

The combustion unit in the back wall seems to be working. I know it's made of some type of refractory material, but I don't know specifically what it is. Does anybody know? I saw a price on a replacement and it's expensive. Would long periods of inactivity likely cause it to break down and become ineffective?

The fireback at the back of the firebox is warped. It does not seem to affect the efficiency of the stove. Should it be replaced?

What about the fire bricks? Do they deteriorate from being unused? Should they be replaced?

You can probably tell that I've never disassembled the stove or done any work on it. All I have is the 2011 (25th revision) edition of the Homeowner's Installation and Operating Manual. It includes an exploded view and parts numbers. Should I have a dealer inspect it?

Thanks for your help.

The Resolute Acclaim was VC's first EPA phase II product. When running right it was a nice stove. Unfortunately it has an achilles heel that turned it into a maintenance nightmare. The refractory package quickly degraded under 24/7 usage. Lack of use should not harm it though. From the description of this stove it is due for a thorough going over and inspection. The fireback will probably need replacing.